Son of Oh shit, its the "I just boughted it" Thread!!!

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Lach

Re: Son of Oh shit, its the "I just boughted it" Thread!!!

Post by Lach »

1bottlerocket wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:21 am
Lach wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:03 am
1bottlerocket wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:20 am Nice one. I was checking that one out too, not do much to buy but read. When I was in Japan they were even hard to find.
Really? We seem to have a lot in Oz... right now my local 2nd hand music shop has 3 of them, and they seem to always have at least one for sale... I guess there's a lot of MIJ stuff in Oz though really
That's the thing--They all get bought up and exported. I went to the big places in Shibuya, Ochanomizu station, and Yokohama and they were few and far between. Most of the others were on Yahoo Japan auctions or Digimart. They were priced fairly high too. At the time there were a lot of enterprising foreigners buying up as many JV guitars they could get their hands on and selling them on Ebay at a considerable profit. I stopped following it after awhile and gave up.
Yeah, I know what you mean there about them all getting bought up. I've been to Japan a couple of times though and I feel I did see a lot of Yamahas, Burnys and Tokais (vintage, not the new ones) in certain stores, but mostly pretty scarce
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

HorseyBoy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:41 pm Image

1980 Greco Tele Thinline heading my way! More pics and blog here: https://www.tymguitars.com.au/blogs/blo ... e-thinline
WOULD ADD TO THE PILE!
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Lach wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:01 am Yeah, I know what you mean there about them all getting bought up. I've been to Japan a couple of times though and I feel I did see a lot of Yamahas, Burnys and Tokais (vintage, not the new ones) in certain stores, but mostly pretty scarce
We're lucky that a lot of great Japanese guitars and pedals made their way to Oz. This is the second great Greco I've picked up here (the other, a Les Paul, was from a guy in Melbourne who picked it up in Tokyo). But I've also had good luck with Japanese guitars in Japan. :cheers:
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:43 pm WOULD ADD TO THE PILE!
I know, right? I've finally got a Tele! :badlove: It'll also be the only guitar I have with a maple board.
Lach

Post by Lach »

HorseyBoy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:56 am
Lach wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:01 am Yeah, I know what you mean there about them all getting bought up. I've been to Japan a couple of times though and I feel I did see a lot of Yamahas, Burnys and Tokais (vintage, not the new ones) in certain stores, but mostly pretty scarce
We're lucky that a lot of great Japanese guitars and pedals made their way to Oz. This is the second great Greco I've picked up here (the other, a Les Paul, was from a guy in Melbourne who picked it up in Tokyo). But I've also had good luck with Japanese guitars in Japan. :cheers:
Tis true! I've been lucky to have owned (and still own) a few special ones too!
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Not as good as HB’s tele above but for a cheapy Mexican made job it’s a shit load of fun :party:
E5C5CBB5-C179-469A-BA73-7B46E29D50B3.jpeg
E5C5CBB5-C179-469A-BA73-7B46E29D50B3.jpeg (127.01 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

A tele and Tonebender always sounds great.
Had a few teles in past and they always sounded ace with fuzz.
Currently have a Mexican custom shop reverse headstock strat and it’s the best feeling strat I’ve played.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

I’m toying with the idea of upgrades. I don’t want to go nuts with new pups etc but aesthetically. Im not digging the look of the bridge and the shiny chrome
’brutish in character but not thug like’
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

There was a video on “Montys” Instagram page on how to age parts. I did it myself but can’t remember how I oxidised them.
Vinegar maybe in a tub and a separate pot I put inside with the chrome on. Then sealed it For like 30 mins or so.

There is parts at crazy parts you could replace.
Personally I’d prob swap out the bridge for a different plate with 3 brass saddles.
I’m sure they have aged ones.
Depends how much you want to spend.
I rip apart all my guitars so I’m prob the wrong person to ask if we’re talking small mods :)
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

An old guitar with before and after shots of hardware
Attachments
EBCA3D24-6805-4486-B573-18B954AF18FD.jpeg
EBCA3D24-6805-4486-B573-18B954AF18FD.jpeg (749.62 KiB) Viewed 2088 times