Black Eyed Bruiser - What phaser is this?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Hagstrom71

Black Eyed Bruiser - What phaser is this?

Post by Hagstrom71 »

A friend turned me on to this song.. being an early AC/DC Easybeats fan of course I love the Vanda Young double guitar production. What a rocker!

@ 1:15 they kick in phasers on the guitars. Any thoughts on what they might have used? I am really only familiar with the phase 90, though I have tried a green sovtek era small stone that blew me away. Also realize it may be a studio unit.

Any thoughts from you more experienced phaser phreaks?
HorseyBoy

Re: Black Eyed Bruiser - What phaser is this?

Post by HorseyBoy »

Fucking love this song. One of the first songs I ever learned how to play, barre chords and single note descending riff. And Stevie Wright was one of the first shows I ever saw when I was underage and using my brother's ID at Hornsby RSL Club in Sydney. They're still doing Vanda and Young shows now!

https://hornsbyrsl.com.au/whats-on/

The phasers are lovely and slow. It was recorded around 1975 at Albert's, which was pretty much the major studio in the country at the time, would've had all the best gear. Might be a Maestro PS-1A, but Vanda and Young were masters in the studio and it really could've been anything. Others will have better guesses.
Darth Sabbathi

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Such a good song. :skellrock:
Hagstrom71

Post by Hagstrom71 »

HorseyBoy wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:10 am Fucking love this song. One of the first songs I ever learned how to play, barre chords and single note descending riff. And Stevie Wright was one of the first shows I ever saw when I was underage and using my brother's ID at Hornsby RSL Club in Sydney. They're still doing Vanda and Young shows now!

https://hornsbyrsl.com.au/whats-on/

The phasers are lovely and slow. It was recorded around 1975 at Albert's, which was pretty much the major studio in the country at the time, would've had all the best gear. Might be a Maestro PS-1A, but Vanda and Young were masters in the studio and it really could've been anything. Others will have better guesses.

I need to investigate more of Vanda & Young's song catalog. Flash & The Pan's "Hey St Peter" is another great one.
Listening to the phaser again, I realize that the Left & Right channel guitars phasing at different cycles is partly what makes it sound so cool.
Makes me want to get an alternative to my Whirlwind phase 90.. Something that has a slower speed and a different sound.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Vanda and Young pretty much shaped the sound of Australian music from the late 60s right through to the 80s, first with the Easybeats and then with AC/DC. And they didn't just do it with heavy guitars - as well as flat-out rockers, they had huge pop hits with guys like John Paul Young ("Love is in the Air" is almost disco) and William Shakespeare (check out "My Little Angel" and "Can't Stop Myself from Loving You" if you want a laugh). And then they did their own thing with Flash and the Pan.
Bands like the Angels and Rose Tattoo never got as big as AC/DC, but they were huge in Australia, and they also had that signature Vanda and Young guitar sound. Check the shuffle rhythms on "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj_QkLrW3qc

And they resurrected Stevie Wright's career (if only temporarily) with "Hard Road", "Evie" and "Black Eyed Bruiser".
"Evie" is a fucking epic, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQGGYZs9nqs
Hagstrom71

Post by Hagstrom71 »

Thanks for all the V&Y info. Those William Shakespeare Songs and Videos are a good laugh.
Got into The Angels S/T album and Face to Face a while back but need to revisit them.
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

My daughter may or may not have been named after Evie
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

I'm gonna guess dod 600 series just to answer your question