Anyone else teach guitar?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Jim Goad

Anyone else teach guitar?

Post by Jim Goad »

I’ve been doing a fair bit of guitar tuition over the last couple of years and have found it really rewarding. It’s made me improve my playing and some of the young students have introduced me to new music too. Anybody else here teach? Any tips or stories to share?
It's like an orange on a toothpick
jreeves47

Re: Anyone else teach guitar?

Post by jreeves47 »

I've been teaching private lessons for 15 years, at one point had 50 students a week. It is great to be introduced to new music! I've got to the point where I can chart out a tune as I hear it, used to take me several listens when I started out. My favorite students have been the ones who are fighting to overcome some disadvantage and force me to come up with new ways to help them access their musical abilities. The talented ones who come from privilege are a bit of a drag, they always have some lame excuse - like the maid moved my books so I couldn't practice! I don't care though, it's not for everyone.
Philip

Post by Philip »

I started teaching as a volunteer at a local community centre about a month ago.

5 kids, 3 adults with varying degrees of turning up. :smashed: :hihi:

Never taught before so we are all learning as we go along. My system seems to be working, they can, when concentrating, play 9 chords, 3 scales and 3 chord progressions after 5 weeks.

:freakout:
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Philip wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:07 am varying degrees of turning up. :smashed: :hihi:
This is what really annoys me! Had a couple of times where I’ve been stood outside a students house and they’re not even in. Then I get the excuses: Didn’t we book for Tuesday? I thought it was next week etc.
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

jreeves47 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:28 pm My favorite students have been the ones who are fighting to overcome some disadvantage and force me to come up with new ways to help them access their musical abilities.
I’m finding that too. A girl with dyspraxia and a bloke with arthritis. Having to think of different teaching methods to help them achieve what they want is really cool.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

I've been teaching guitar and piano for the better part of 15 years and about 4 years ago started working on my own running my own business. It's great to be able to take your guitar to work every day and I've learned a lot over the years, especially the need for patience!!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

I teach couple days in week guitar for kids, beginners.
We have there rehearsal room wirh drum students, so we can do bands and give concerts every spring for friends and parents :)
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

redeyeflight wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:06 am It's great to be able to take your guitar to work every day and I've learned a lot over the years, especially the need for patience!!
Yeah. I sit and jam with someone for an hour then get paid! Patience is key. Teaching the students to have patience is the hardest part I find.