Favourite builders for certain fuzz types?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

MEH!

Re: Favourite builders for certain fuzz types?

Post by MEH! »

stella_blues wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:54 pm Tim from Tym Guitars does amazing muff builds of every variety but if you can try the Violet Mud, totally awesome. As are his MXR dist and Rat

Yeah nah
:bangs head:
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

simonm wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:32 pm Come on guys - Dave is King of mk1 + mk2 Tone Benders, no fucking doubt! Arguably the whole Tone Bender renaissance is down to him! Most of these other builders are only building on his work and generosity with schematics etc.
Hmmm pretty bold statement there. I'd put my mk1 up against a generic/ deluxe sola reissue Dave build any day of the week, including a Pigdog, Castledine or ghost mk1. Even an electric eye. Having said that (and no disrespect to the Main man), his exploration if the limits of TB's is unmatched. Green Bastard, blue cunt machine, SOGTB, EVIL SOGTB et al, I would agree hands down.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I think also ones own gear can play a part. Plus I guess it’s subjective to say “ the best “ as personally I like a bit of snap and crackle from a mk1. I know some that don’t.
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

MEH! wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:36 pm
stella_blues wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:54 pm Tim from Tym Guitars does amazing muff builds of every variety but if you can try the Violet Mud, totally awesome. As are his MXR dist and Rat

Yeah nah
What's the problem here? Personnel issues with Tim or I'm wrong and his mud builds are shite? :popcorn:
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

MEH! wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:45 pm
simonm wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:32 pm Come on guys - Dave is King of mk1 + mk2 Tone Benders, no fucking doubt! Arguably the whole Tone Bender renaissance is down to him! Most of these other builders are only building on his work and generosity with schematics etc.
Hmmm pretty bold statement there. I'd put my mk1 up against a generic/ deluxe sola reissue Dave build any day of the week, including a Pigdog, Castledine or ghost mk1. Even an electric eye. Having said that (and no disrespect to the Main man), his exploration if the limits of TB's is unmatched. Green Bastard, blue cunt machine, SOGTB, EVIL SOGTB et al, I would agree hands down.
Dave is 100% King of the tonebenders.....his work isn't based off someone else's schematic, he actually had an OG MKI to make the first 1965's from. Go back 10 or so years and you find me someone else who was doing MKI builds.
Same with Stu and the Supa MKI.... no one really knew they existed before he copied his own pedal.
Lach

Post by Lach »

stella_blues wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:54 pm Tim from Tym Guitars does amazing muff builds of every variety but if you can try the Violet Mud, totally awesome. As are his MXR dist and Rat builds.
Definitely my favourite Muff builder! I've probably owned or at least tried all the Tym Mudds but the Violet is truly the best Ram's Head I've ever played or heard. I have 2 of them.
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

stella_blues wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:06 pm
MEH! wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Yeah nah
What's the problem here? Personnel issues with Tim or I'm wrong and his mud builds are shite? :popcorn:
Probably more about the business model to be honest. The modus operandi if you like.
My opinion is that once YOU buy something YOU OWN IT and can do whatever the bloody hell you want with it. I don't appreciate some little bald gnome that chases the "next band" like a 2 buck lawyer chases ambulances to put out and market a "LTD ED" pedal telling me what I can and can't do with MY PROPERTY under the threat of being "BLACKLISTED".
Sometimes it ain't all about the sound
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

Lach wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:30 am
stella_blues wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:54 pm Tim from Tym Guitars does amazing muff builds of every variety but if you can try the Violet Mud, totally awesome. As are his MXR dist and Rat builds.
Definitely my favourite Muff builder! I've probably owned or at least tried all the Tym Mudds but the Violet is truly the best Ram's Head I've ever played or heard. I have 2 of them.
I can think of a couple that blow them out of the water. Price for price, SUF Violet Rams Head Deluxe or Caprid big box.
P1 or P2 Cornish lives in a totally different class
Lach

Post by Lach »

MEH! wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:37 am
Lach wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:30 am
I can think of a couple that blow them out of the water. Price for price, SUF Violet Rams Head Deluxe or Caprid big box.
P1 or P2 Cornish lives in a totally different class
For sure! But I'd have to say not to my ears... I've had plenty of SUF's, Wren and Cuff's, September Sound and so on etc and a bunch of great sounding originals too, the Tym Violet stands well and truly above to my ears. Glorious. But to each their own. The other one I've owned that I thought was a real stand out is the Castledine V2, it's a ripper!
The-kangass

Post by The-kangass »

pothole wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:15 pm
daCod wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 pm Jerms. Across the board. From an MxR micro Amp to a KlonE,
Hol up....Jerms built at Klon clone?????
there was ceriatone centura build up by Jerms few days ago for sale if I'm not mistaken... :freakout: