Help! I've lost the will to fuzz!

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

sluttyindian

Help! I've lost the will to fuzz!

Post by sluttyindian »

Hey guys, been a while since I posted, just been trying not to get tempted by fuzz GAS... (living near the city now in Sydney so can barely afford rent + food)

ANYWAY I've been going through a midlife guitar crises for the last few years and I have been struggling to get a decent fuzz tone ever since.

I can pinpoint where things started to go horribly wrong, when I sold my Les Paul Studio (with some PIO caps + Bare knuckle mules) to upgrade to a stock R8! :bangs head:
I also regrettably had to sell my Matamp GT40 that I was using with a 2x12 with greenbacks due to the amp having MAJOR technical difficulties, was fed up with it by the time it finally got fixed.

In an attempt to achieve the tone I was getting, I plan to upgrade the electronics on a Epi/Gib Studio Les Paul or 335 (have an epi dot atm) and then try to find a good amp that doesn't blow up my wallet for my D*A*M Fuzztron.

I've done a search on this forum and it seems a lot of good 'budget' suggestions aren't that readily available in Australia (Ampeg Gemini, Traynor etc) Anyone have any suggestions for newish production amps that will work good with fuzz like my GT40 did?

I should have headed the wise words of CoolHands with regards to tone... "If it ain't broke..."

TLDR: Midlife tone crises. Need a decent new/used amp that isn't super expensive (sub $1k AUD) that works well with fuzz and humbuckers.

Sincerely yours, the sluttiest of all indians
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
Fuzzisthebest

Re: Help! I've lost the will to fuzz!

Post by Fuzzisthebest »

Dude , you are asking for a lot . Australia does not do cheap amps . But since you’ve asked .........1970’sFender Silver face Twin is what you want . Good luck finding one you may get one for $1500 Australian , only because High powered amps are out of favour . I was offered a blackface Fender Princeton Reverb for $ 4000 Aus last week .
I said no .
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

depends how loud you need it?

I down graded everything to a Matamp Minimat, MIJ tokai Les Paul, couple of fuzz pedals, could not be fucking happier :party:
’brutish in character but not thug like’
burgersalad14

Post by burgersalad14 »

Sorry but this is wrong. Plenty of good sub $1k tube amps in OZ. Plenty. A 70’s silverface Twin is the last thing you want. To work with fuzz and buckers is exactly one of the things It can’t do well at low volumes. I have a ‘66 PR and the new PR reissues are pretty good. Even the new 4 watt Vox amps are worth looking at if you want to drive with fuzz and buckers. Good luck with your search!
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

Fuzzisthebest wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:59 pm Dude , you are asking for a lot . Australia does not do cheap amps . But since you’ve asked .........1970’sFender Silver face Twin is what you want . Good luck finding one you may get one for $1500 Australian , only because High powered amps are out of favour . I was offered a blackface Fender Princeton Reverb for $ 4000 Aus last week .
I said no .
Yikes 4k?? Was it original issue or reissue?

Id probs prefer to stay away from vintage gear as ive been stung with some duds recently... however ill keep my eyes open! Theres one nearish to me for $1900
innerflight wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:03 pm depends how loud you need it?

I down graded everything to a Matamp Minimat, MIJ tokai Les Paul, couple of fuzz pedals, could not be fucking happier :party:
Loudness isnt really an issue, I just want it to sound good!

That's a good suggestion though, im a bit wary to go back to matamp given my past experiences but I could be tempted... Are they out of production now? They aren't up on the matamp website anymore
"These pedals are like women, when you need one there's none around. When you finally get in a serious relationship with one, they come out of the woodwork." -Turkish
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

burgersalad14 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:10 pm Sorry but this is wrong. Plenty of good sub $1k tube amps in OZ. Plenty. A 70’s silverface Twin is the last thing you want. To work with fuzz and buckers is exactly one of the things It can’t do well at low volumes. I have a ‘66 PR and the new PR reissues are pretty good. Even the new 4 watt Vox amps are worth looking at if you want to drive with fuzz and buckers. Good luck with your search!
Sup Tim! :cheers: Might have to get my guitar to where I want it and go into the shop and try every fender offering they have... My mate just got a princeton reverb done by Achilles. He swears by it but Im not going to drop that amount of cash on one
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

Also not really keen on the whole Vox sound
skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

sluttyindian wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:15 pm Also not really keen on the whole Vox sound
skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

What about one of the new Laney LA30BL heads...?
sluttyindian

Post by sluttyindian »

skelt101 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:23 pm
sluttyindian wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:15 pm Also not really keen on the whole Vox sound

Oohh that Laney looks interesting! El34s as well! :freakout: