Flangers!

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

jreeves47

Re: Flangers!

Post by jreeves47 »

I love flangers, but hardly get to use them. One that I thought worked really well in a band setting is the boss hi-band flanger.
I love that John Lennon came up with the name!
fernieite

Post by fernieite »

Zuff-1A wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:54 am
fernieite wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:51 pm I've had 3 vintage flangers over the years, but only keeping one - the red Ross flanger. It's a tweaked copy on the MXR.

I just sold my original Electric Mistress, which was very cool. Maybe closer to a chorus sound. However, I just don't seem to use flangers that much.

I've also got an excellent classic 70's A/DA flanger up for sale right now on Fleabay. Shoot me an offer :whistle:

How you compare A/DA to vintage Ross or Electric Mistress?

Well, I find the Ross is more of a "normal" flanger sound. Think swooshing Barracuda. It can be useful at milder settings too, like early Van Halen.

The Electric Mistress was quite useful, but more of a chorusy thing. Think Summers with the Police.

The A/DA is quite the contraption! It can get pretty extreme and out of this world. :headpop:
It can do a lot of normal flanger sounds too, but capable of much more. A tweakers dream. :tu:
Last edited by fernieite on Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great deals with: Stu, Graham, Sickle, Devnulljp, SteveG, peps1, paine, fuzzface6669, jetofuj, sciencefriction, jerms, rafmax, Bigfoot2000, whiskeyfuneral, monolithfuzz.
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

mutron flanger, that's a fun one too
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

Gone a bit flanger crazy over the last few years, after scoring a MIJ Arion for $15 and realizing that I like flangers doing chorus more than a chorus pedal. Recently got a nice Boss Hi-Band from Japan. The ADA PBF has never quite won me over but I still hang onto it in case.

Funniest thing (probably told before) was when I bought a Reticon MXR from a guy who worked at Sam Ash, arrived with a dead chip but he told me “that’s how they sound, flangers were much more subtle back then”.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Foxrox Parodox was the best flanger I ever owned
’brutish in character but not thug like’
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

ADA flanger is one of my favorites for vintage ones. The electric mistress always sounded a bit more chorus-y to me (not that that’s a bad thing). But honestly the best flanger, for me anyways, is the lovetone ? Flanger. It rules. Nothing else sounds like it. And it does some very unique things I haven’t found any other pedals do. Unfortunately they’re totally unaffordable. Really wish someone would come up with a reasonably priced clone of one.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Hasn’t Thorpy made one which would be a good alternative to the Lovetone?
He said he’s bringing back the whole line of Lovetone stuff in a new modern design collaborative with Dan coggins.
Figured the camouflange was it?!
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:01 am Hasn’t Thorpy made one which would be a good alternative to the Lovetone?
He said he’s bringing back the whole line of Lovetone stuff in a new modern design collaborative with Dan coggins.
Figured the camouflange was it?!
I watched the demos for the camoflange and while it does sound like a fine flanger indeed it is not anything close to the lovetone flanger in function or sound.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Ahh bummer
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Totally. I understand he developed it with Dan Coggins but I think the design philosophy on the thorpy stuff is subtly. Which is totally the anthesis of the lovetone stuff. Probably appeals to a wider audience but for the folks who want the freaky stuff it’s not really going to do the job.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")