Your introduction to fuzz

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Sharkins

Re: Your introduction to fuzz

Post by Sharkins »

Doc Holliday wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:09 pm The site had a cartoon gentleman at the desk and when you clicked the links it would make cartoon type noises :hihi:
similar cringe experienced when I saw[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKg5L9X8Ty8[/youtube]
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

While it's not technically a "fuzz", my first distortion/overdrive pedal was a Tube Works Real Tube Overdrive by B.K. Butler. It was the third pedal I ever bought (an MXR Phase 90 and Boss CE-2 being the first and second) and I still have it. At the time I didn't have much cash, and while I knew it didn't get the authentic Tone Bender sounds like my idols Ronno and Page, when cranked it did generate sufficient dirt to to allow me to fake it in the garage band in which I played with my friends. None of my bandmates seemed to notice, so for several years whenever I needed a dirty sound, I just cranked the knobs on the Tube Works and faked it best I could. Then I went down the bluegrass mandolin wormhole and didn't pick up an electric guitar for over 20 years. . . . .
When I did finally pull my old electric out from under the bed and start plugging in again, I guess I took a little more deliberate approach to crafting my sound. Fortunately, by then there was much more information about fuzz pedals and effects available on the internet. My first real fuzz was an Analogman Sun Bender MkIV with three Mullard trannies, and it was a revelation. From then on I researched more and discovered D*A*M and Pigdog pedals. Fast forward a couple of years and here I am today with very little cash, several nice fuzz pedals, a slight case of tinnitus, and a big foolish grin on my face.

:badteeth:
Attachments
IMG_2714 2.JPG
IMG_2714 2.JPG (630.09 KiB) Viewed 998 times
2guests

Post by 2guests »

Those were some serious distorto pedals back in the day! The eq was really usable. Nothing wrong with it at all! It is a historical jewel.
"I'm gonna give you something to bathe for." -Chuck Berry

"You sure it's not a jerms clone? How do we even know anymore?" -HorseyBoy
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

Thanks! It's built like a tank, and still works great.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Tin Shack King wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:59 am Thanks! It's built like a tank, and still works great.
Made in the 80s?
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

Doc Holliday wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:00 am
Tin Shack King wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:59 am Thanks! It's built like a tank, and still works great.
Made in the 80s?
Probably, but not sure. My early post-college days are but a distant, hazy memory! :smashed:
I bought it used from a local music store, no box or documentation. The s/n, which is hand written on the back of the pedal is 803432 if that helps date the pedal.
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

Tubewks.jpg
Tubewks.jpg (557.17 KiB) Viewed 863 times
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

Just received a kind e-mail from Mr. B.K. Butler himself, who advises that my Real Tube pedal was made in March of 1988.
2guests

Post by 2guests »

^ Very nice of him to do that.
"I'm gonna give you something to bathe for." -Chuck Berry

"You sure it's not a jerms clone? How do we even know anymore?" -HorseyBoy
Rygar

Post by Rygar »

this song wasn't my introduction to fuzz but hearing it was the moment I became addicted to seeking out fuzz pedals.