Your introduction to fuzz

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

1bottlerocket

Re: Your introduction to fuzz

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Philip wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:45 pm A tweed Bassman via a paper round. Those were diffetent days.
Yes, they were the 'old' amps that were soon to be obsolete.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Philip

Post by Philip »

Just watched Scotland draw 0-0 with Brazil in 1974. Deffo different days!! :smashed: :hihi:
Last edited by Philip on Mon May 18, 2020 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Ah I’m missing the footie big time, the euros would be starting soon
’brutish in character but not thug like’
upstateanalog

Post by upstateanalog »

First time I remember fuzz really standing out to me was seeing the Beastie Boys video for Gratitude on MTV with Yauch playing that killer fuzzed out bass riff. I saw Dinosaur jr. shortly after in ‘93 and that’s when things started clicking for me.. so I went out and bought a Big Muff.
1976@metal

Post by 1976@metal »

upstateanalog wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:47 am First time I remember fuzz really standing out to me was seeing the Beastie Boys video for Gratitude on MTV with Yauch playing that killer fuzzed out bass riff. I saw Dinosaur jr. shortly after in ‘93 and that’s when things started clicking for me.. so I went out and bought a Big Muff.
I tried out a Big Muff at band practice a couple of times in the late 90''s and experienced that thing which I'm sure many of us have had where you suddenly dissappear in the mix , I kind of wrote them off for years after that. It's only recently that Ive got interested in them again , and I guess these days I'm a bit more aware of other factors that effect your sound ( .....what guitar your using , what amp your running into and how it's set, other pedals in your chain before and after .....)
Needless to say I love them now , was definitely a case of "its not you , it's me. ..." as to way I didn't get on with fuzz for years , I just didn't know how to use it , and expected it to work just like a Marshall Guvner!
Dinosaur Jr was definitely a big eye ( or ear ) opener when I came to using fuzz and how it could sound , prior to that I think I just associated fuzz with Mudhoney and stuff like that , which is great but not really my cup of tea
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Muffs seem to be very popular in this thread.
Probably cheaper and more accessible than its contemporaries
1976@metal

Post by 1976@metal »

Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:20 am Muffs seem to be very popular in this thread.
Yeah I agree mate , a bit more "off the shelf" avaliable and visable ( and affordable ) compared to tone benders and their variants
upstateanalog

Post by upstateanalog »

Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:20 am Muffs seem to be very popular in this thread.
Definitely the case, especially back then. Big Muffs were in nearly every guitar shop, and they were fairly cheap.
upstateanalog

Post by upstateanalog »

1976@metal wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:33 am
upstateanalog wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:47 am First time I remember fuzz really standing out to me was seeing the Beastie Boys video for Gratitude on MTV with Yauch playing that killer fuzzed out bass riff. I saw Dinosaur jr. shortly after in ‘93 and that’s when things started clicking for me.. so I went out and bought a Big Muff.
I tried out a Big Muff at band practice a couple of times in the late 90''s and experienced that thing which I'm sure many of us have had where you suddenly dissappear in the mix , I kind of wrote them off for years after that. It's only recently that Ive got interested in them again , and I guess these days I'm a bit more aware of other factors that effect your sound ( .....what guitar your using , what amp your running into and how it's set, other pedals in your chain before and after .....)
Needless to say I love them now , was definitely a case of "its not you , it's me. ..." as to way I didn't get on with fuzz for years , I just didn't know how to use it , and expected it to work just like a Marshall Guvner!
Dinosaur Jr was definitely a big eye ( or ear ) opener when I came to using fuzz and how it could sound , prior to that I think I just associated fuzz with Mudhoney and stuff like that , which is great but not really my cup of tea
It was just me messing around on my own with this stuff for years, so I was pretty clueless about that. It wasn’t until much later when I finally started my first band (with two other guitarists!) that I learned this lesson the hard way. The worst example was a Lovetone Big Cheese that arrived not long before we were to play an outdoor show. I was incredibly excited about that pedal, and it just completely disappeared every time I stomped on it. After some trial and error I started to understand why.
1976@metal

Post by 1976@metal »

upstateanalog wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:32 pm
1976@metal wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:33 am
It was just me messing around on my own with this stuff for years, so I was pretty clueless about that. It wasn’t until much later when I finally started my first band (with two other guitarists!) that I learned this lesson the hard way. The worst example was a Lovetone Big Cheese that arrived not long before we were to play an outdoor show. I was incredibly excited about that pedal, and it just completely disappeared every time I stomped on it. After some trial and error I started to understand why.
I consider myself pretty lucky I learned this at practice and not at a gig ! Have you still got the Big Cheese ? Must be worth loads now !