UPDATE: Bearfoot Fx vs BJFE

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

MEH!

UPDATE: Bearfoot Fx vs BJFE

Post by MEH! »

is there a difference between Bearfoot and BJFE?
I know there is a massive price difference but isn't it the same dude (Björn?) making them?
Last edited by MEH! on Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
pothole

Re: Bearfoot Fx vs BJFE

Post by pothole »

Pretty sure a gear page guy named Donner is making the Bearfoot stuff in the US with some kind of an agreement with Bjorn. I've had a bunch of BJFE stuff over the years but I've never had any Bearfoot pedals. I don't know what would play into the massive price difference other than branding, but it's hard to tell since all the BJFe pedals are gooped so you don't really know what kind of quality devices he's using.
1976@metal

Post by 1976@metal »

pothole wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:02 am Pretty sure a gear page guy named Donner is making the Bearfoot stuff in the US with some kind of an agreement with Bjorn. I've had a bunch of BJFE stuff over the years but I've never had any Bearfoot pedals. I don't know what would play into the massive price difference other than branding, but it's hard to tell since all the BJFe pedals are gooped so you don't really know what kind of quality devices he's using.
This is my understanding as well. I think the Bearfoot Fx pedals are made in USA with the full blessing of Bjorn. I also think it's a similar situation with Mad Professor and One Control ie fully licensed builds of Bjorns design's.
I threw up a question on the gear page about the Bearfoot Dyna Red and a guy call Don came back with a really helpful response, and I'm pretty sure he's the USA builder.
I got the Bearfoot Dyna red on the back of his coments, and so far I love it. A mate of mine has just got the Bjf Honey Bee too and tells me it's fantastic.
As far I can see the big price difference is down to BJF being handmade by the original designer of the circuits, and the inherant desirability of that.
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

Oh okay that makes sense. I have Bearfoot on the way. It was cheap on sale. The BJFE stuff is 3 times the price. Is there really anything that radical that requires gooping? It means that if something goes wrong a local pedal guy can't even fix a dry joint. Unless I'm missing something
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

I'll add that on Returd its 5 times the price. If anyone is looking for BJFE stuff drop me a PM
Fuzzisthebest

Post by Fuzzisthebest »

Bjorn no longer has an agreement with Don Rusk who makes Bearfoot .They had a bitter falling out . I think Bearfoot promised Bjorn a lot but was those promises were just blowing in the wind . You can’t compare the two companies nor could you ever .
Bjorn hand makes every BJFE pedal in his workshop and is a genius. I liken his skill to David and Steve . That may be controversial
He doesn’t necessarily believe in Mojo transformers . As far as I know he uses all sorts of different transformers for his pedals.
He now has a Japanese company making his designs One Control .
The other day I had an early Honey Bee plugged into my 70’s 100 watt Hi Watt and the Honey Bee (which is based on a small ( Supro )turned my Hi Watt into why sounded like a cranked small amp . It was astonishing.
Bjorn’s customer service is as good as any company I’ve ever dealt with . Bjorn personally answers every email within 12 hours or so , usually with great humour, experience and wisdom .
I think that you’ll find many people who say Bjorn is a genius . He speaks 5 languages and can make pedals with the best of them . He’s incredibly likeable too. I own about a dozen BJFE pedals going back to the early 2000’s .
I can’t comment on Bearfoot I’ve never played one and only emailed them once .
Bigfoot2000

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

Fuzzisthebest wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:20 am Bjorn no longer has an agreement with Don Rusk who makes Bearfoot .They had a bitter falling out . I think Bearfoot promised Bjorn a lot but was those promises were just blowing in the wind . You can’t compare the two companies nor could you ever .
Bjorn hand makes every BJFE pedal in his workshop and is a genius. I liken his skill to David and Steve . That may be controversial
He doesn’t necessarily believe in Mojo transformers . As far as I know he uses all sorts of different transformers for his pedals.
He now has a Japanese company making his designs One Control .
The other day I had an early Honey Bee plugged into my 70’s 100 watt Hi Watt and the Honey Bee (which is based on a small ( Supro )turned my Hi Watt into why sounded like a cranked small amp . It was astonishing.
Bjorn’s customer service is as good as any company I’ve ever dealt with . Bjorn personally answers every email within 12 hours or so , usually with great humour, experience and wisdom .
I think that you’ll find many people who say Bjorn is a genius . He speaks 5 languages and can make pedals with the best of them . He’s incredibly likeable too. I own about a dozen BJFE pedals going back to the early 2000’s .
I can’t comment on Bearfoot I’ve never played one and only emailed them once .
I can’t agree with this more I would always go with BJFE, Bearfoot is not for me, if what I’ve heard about the way they do business is true

Bjorn recently fixed my Honey Bee OD Retro under warranty for free even though he didn’t have to. All I had to do was post it to Sweden and he sent it back free of charge. What a legend. Great email comms and he sent me loads of info on his builds, he sent videos and demos and we even got into talking about his past bands and stuff which was cool

He’s a great guy and while I was there I bought a Model H for a great price - don’t bother with second hand stuff go direct if you’re in the EU
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
superslidetail

Post by superslidetail »

I've owned several of both. Bearfoot are very good if you're on a tight budget. I know people poo poo the BJFE stuff here but I think they sound fantastic. I own the Sparkle Face and think its one of the best FF variants out there. I was eyeing up a couple more BJFE but yea they ain't cheap.
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

I am another fan of BJFE. It is correct that BJFE and Bearfoot are no longer in business together. I think Bearfoot is allowed to still produce everything they were doing until the relationship deteriorated. I don't think anything really new has come out of Bearfoot since. Bjorn was the creative mind behind all the pedals.
TeleSoul

Post by TeleSoul »

How do you contact Bjorn directly? I’ve always wanted a Pale Green Compressor and have never found one for sale.