Dinosaur Jr!!!

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Rygar

Dinosaur Jr!!!

Post by Rygar »

I never thought I'd be listening to a new Dinosaur Jr. album tonight! It's a promo but I think it's alright since I always buy the LP and Digital.

Sounds like the MK1 Tone Bender all over this. Some gnarly like Dave's version Sola and some snarly like a Supa Mk1.

There's a song called "I Met The Stones" and it sounds like Judas Priest! I've described some of my favorite Tone Benders on here before as sounding like Judas Priest - that's always what I want to hear when I play some power chords - those Judas Priest rhythm guitars!

Things have been tough lately, this made a Friday night alone at home really memorable. I have vivid memories of first listens of all their albums. Can't wait to see this tour. I've seen them at least once every tour since the Green Mind tour.

We got some Dinosaur fans here I imagine, right?

Anyone want to talk about Dinosaur?
HorseyBoy

Re: Dinosaur Jr!!!

Post by HorseyBoy »

Huge fan. After all these years, Mascis is still one of my favourite guitar players and he definitely knows a thing or two about guitars and pedals outside of Jazzmasters and Muffs. Pretty sure jerms has made him a Mk I (which he's recorded and toured with) as well as a Mk I/Rangemaster combo…
pothole

Post by pothole »

J. inspired me to collect and try out as many Big Muffs as I could as he was a huge influence for me in my early guitar days. Ive logged probably too many hours working on his solos...finally got Out There nailed, well, kind of nailed, back in the day. We covered that song for a number of years...so fun. Dinosaur Jr is huge for me, pretty much the reason I play guitar to this day. Thanks for the heads up on the new shit!! I saw them play at the Gorge in Washington State for the first time during the 1993 Lollapolooza tour. They ripped. There was this really weird band I'd never heard of playing the back stage at that show, some dude that just stared at one person for pretty much the entire set....was super weird and cool. I think they were called Tool.
Zacharia Matilda

Post by Zacharia Matilda »

Holy shit yes. I first got into them watching old Thrasher skateboarding videos. It was shortly after YLAOM came out. I think they lost their way for awhile after Bug, but those first three records all different from each other and they are very very good. I love all the acoustic guitars on the first one, but I think their second one is my favorite. However, the description of the new record definitely sounds awesome. Judas Priest via Dino Jr? Count me in.

They and the Ramones were easily the loudest bands I’ve ever seen. Scary loud.

Love on the first one that J is credited with “Big Muff” :hihi:
"What we need is a love bomb. A 100% gold plated, purified love bomb."
resynthesis

Post by resynthesis »

The first time I saw them is still one of my all time highs. 1988 I think, tiny club basement in Liverpool, scorching hot, overcrowded, super loud. Pure brilliance.

I think Swans the year before had them beaten for volume though.
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

The first music I was introduced to, after being raised in a borderline puritan household, was Nirvana, Dinosaur, Sonic Youth and Black Sabbath. Thank christ for friends' cool older brothers and public school.
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
ufoclub

Post by ufoclub »

i think '88 or '89 a friend of mine made me a tape, there was a song called 'freak scene', a new love was just born
Fuzzisthebest

Post by Fuzzisthebest »

I think J . Mascis has a Jerms MK 1 and I’m fairly sure he bought a Sola Sound MK 1 Ghost version .

I saw Dinosaur in the early 90’s ... I remember the sound of the Electric Mistress swirling as much as the muff .

I bought a vintage Electric Mistress soon after .
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

Once saw J do a solo acoustic show using a Fuzz Factory for all the solo parts.

About 2 years ago he played a in one-off Neil Young cover band at a club in western MA with hardly anyone there. He only had a 1x12 speaker but was still loud as hell!
Rygar

Post by Rygar »

Alright!

tigerdriver I'm always at the shows in Western Mass, I missed that one, no facebook, but we should meet up at the next one.

J is also the reason I play guitar, from the time I was a kid and my older brother's skate videos. J has also been a good and bad influence. I was just a kid and hung on every word, so when I see J hoard big muffs and so many cool guitars, I thought that's what I should do and I think it's kind of dumb now that I have more big muffs than I can count, a bunch of electric mistresses and guitars everywhere. And I still have trouble playing his songs correctly. I used to daydream in school of rolling a twin reverb into the front of the class and melting everyone's faces with the live rendition of Thumb -I still have no idea what the correct chords are for Thumb.

I like that he is a really normal and humble guy too. Every show I have been to has been sold out or close to it and he's just like somebody's uncle, looking to get something to eat or go shopping. No big deal. Roams up to the stage, takes off his coat and glasses, and commences to melt faces. I miss the days when Thurston was living in Northhampton, every show I went to at the Iron Horse J and Thurston would be hanging out in front, talking about television shows and stuff. I used to see both of them all over the place, they're the best!

As far as fuzz, my favorites would have to be the aggressive Univox Super Fuzz tones on WHatevers Cool with Me era. Like Pebbles and Weeds and the Little Baby. Feel the power! That Super Fuzz shit is evil! And why I also have a hoard of Super Fuzzes.

Craziest dinosaur show was defintely at Western Connecticut State University Spring fest with Naughty by Nature! Naughty by Nature was at their peak, OPP, whole field full of people swaying their arms to that Hip Hop Hooray tune. Murph is warming up playing his sticks on top of a rubbermaide garbage pail. Murph is looking awesome - still lots of hair coming out of his hat, beard trimmed way up like George Lucas, pretty much like a fat, Ian Paice Muppet, I love Murph I say that with love! He was awesome! Naughty by Nature finish, Dinosaur come on. Play one song. After the second song starts a field of probably 1000+ people all start filing out of the field en masse through the two exits on either side of the stage, leaving only about 100 dinosaur fans. Mass exodus! There was a moat between us and the stage and J was playing the blue telecaster with the mirror pickguard and the summer afternoon sun was reflecting off it like lasers as he ripped his solos. They played a bunch of Where You Been songs I have never heard live since, some of my favorite songs and that afternoon was so many great memories.