Creativity- Your thoughts and meanderings

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Poorbob

Creativity- Your thoughts and meanderings

Post by Poorbob »

Ok, well, have you ever thought about something so much in such a short amount of time you worry yourself and start feeling like things are going to be so hard to achieve. I'm in that spot right now. So I kinda wanted to get people's opinions on these subjects and try to bed my worries down.

So, I've been thinking about creativity and my future.

On creativity, I believe that in order to be the best at expressing yourself and to be able to use it in a creative way, one must be true to themselves 100%. So in other words, you need to indulge every impulse and almost try to detach from society to become yourself as you are meant to be. This is why I think musicians and artists are considered such weird people, because they are true to themselves and live life as who they really are. I believe, in my limited knowledge, that Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, and yes, Jack White, are among the best example of what I am talking about. So I guess besides commenting on that, what are your thoughts on this and how do you think it is to best to let go. Free your mind Neo. (actually, I said that Neo bit as a joke, but it fits perfectly. Once you are detached, you are free to bend the rules of society/music to become something different than the norm.)

A bit of stuff related to becoming successful in the music business. First, my guitar teacher has a theory that we can all hear music the same way, but the greatness of a musician comes from how in tune he is to hearing it; to the feeling, one might presume. What do you think? Second, I have been really looking up to Jack White again since seeing him second time in three months. I have been studying what makes a good songwriter and I find simplicity to be the key in many aspects. First, though, what do you think about the dress or look of a band? Page, White, and Beefheart all had their own style. Does one create one? Should I just dress the way I have always dressed? Second, I have always had a hard time writing lyrics, but lately I have been realizing that all of the music and look are just a vehicle for a message. Should I have a message inside of me that I need to look for or do I need to create a message? Should I just write about things I notice or create songs about quirky concepts I can dream up? Kinda need help on what a songwriter writes about. I guess an answer to the question, "how do I become successful?" would also help.

Just trying to become a rock star/creative genius (aren't we all) over here so all the help I can get is appreciated. Thanks.
tatter

Re: Creativity- Your thoughts and meanderings

Post by tatter »

That's a big question and will take a better man than i to answer but here's what i have to say anyway.

I think you've just got to be true to yourself, if you try and be something you're not you'll get found out eventually. Just enjoy what you're doing and forget about whether other people like it, just make sure you like it.
http://www.myspace.com/sinisterfootwear
http://www.reverbnation.com/sinisterfootwear

Fender Vintage Player Stratocaster > D*A*M AA > Arion SAD-1 > Line 6 M9 > Ibanez 850 Mini Fuzz > CAE Boost / Line Driver
mhat

Post by mhat »

I'm stuck at work with no time (and no credentials to be answering this question either :hihi: ) but some stray thoughts on this would be:

Would you prefer commercial or artistic success ... or would you rather achieve your artistic vision (which may mean neither critical acclaim nor commercial success)?

It's easy to stray across the line from "staying to true to yourself" to "self-indulgence". At some point you're trying to connect with other people or you're recording music for yourself.

Lyrics. As with any writing, carry a notebook, jot on napkins; when you come up with a tune see if any of the lyrics fit. scat along to the tune.
John Lennon made songs up from posters. Bowie wrote songs based on phrases he'd cut up and randomly selected. Many of the songs I love make no sense but the imagery and the sound of the lyrics is perfect (Bowie's Panic In Detroit/Beefheart's Frownland). Some songs speak to me personally (Billy Bragg's Tank Park Salute). I'm going to inaccurately quote Bob Dylan here because I can't be arsed to look up the quote but basically he said he forced himself to write 10 songs a day and then threw the crap away.
It's a skill you can refine but it's also a creative impulse. If life's good you'll struggle to write anything but Walking On Sunshine. Break up with a girlfriend, suffer bereavement or just plain ol' teen angst and you'll be set for a classic.

Staying true to yourself is not a guaranteed path to success - in fact I would imagine it's a big hindrance if your 'self' is not very commercial. Many of the biggest examples of people who've achieved success while retaining their own vision have been certified geniuses (or lucky enough to appear at exactly the right time). It's easier to play yourself than it is to play someone else though.
and more satisfying. Look what being a good girl did to Britney.

As contrived as it may seem a 'look' seems to me to be a very good thing if you want to be successful. Music is a branch of showbiz. Jack White (for example) had a very strong visual identity when he first hit the TV. Girl/boy drum/guitar duos wearing strictly red and white were thin on the ground at the time. So, not crucial but something (song/name/hype/look) needs to provide a hook for the public's memory. Bowie/Bolan/Kiss/Who/Ramones. Even Dylan. In fact especially Dylan - dark glasses, frizzy hair - easiest caricature possible.
Sometimes the look is about the attitude though (MC5/Stooges) and does not require the purchase of a hat. :hihi:

I've reread this and some of it sounds quite disparaging. It's not meant to. I've a lot of respect for what you're trying to do. Good luck man.

As I said. All just random thoughts but they might throw the discussion off at some good tangents.

Cheers,
Mike
Poorbob

Post by Poorbob »

Thanks Tatter, Mike.

I have always thought that if I achieve my artistic vision (of which, I'm not quite sure what it is yet), I will gain success. To me it seems there's a crowd for about every type of music out there, so assuming I do a great job of expressing myself, I'll have an audience. Maybe that's naive, but that's what I believe so far.

Is there a line between staying true to yourself and self-indulgence? I've always thought that I would like to make music that I would like to hear and music I would like to play. Mixed in with that are some covers or tributes to people that came before me that I would like to acknowledge. Isn't that all in both categories? When I wrote the "indulge every impulse" and "stay true to yourself" stuff, I was mainly referring to creative people having less-inhibited thought, allowing for a more efficient creative process. That's what Beefheart and White seem to me. Also, it reminds me of Heath Ledger's Joker and Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood. Two characters I seem to identify with most in all the movies I have watched mainly because of their disdain of the impressed norm and their freedom of action while others stand shocked that someone is casting aside society's implied guideline to life. I love that commercial for Audi that has the young guy being told he will attend one of these three schools and he will do one of these three careers and his children will do the same. I just don't like that type of thinking.

Anyway, hope this made sense and curious to hear others thoughts on the matter.
mhat

Post by mhat »

Yeah, I was worried that I sounded like I was having a go at you there. I can't pretend to be any expert on any of the above, a lot of that is half-remembered stuff from 25 years worth of music documentaries and biographies. :hihi:

My post was kind of a collection of thoughts that occurred as I was reading your original post because I'm in no position to write a reasoned treatise on the subject so not all of it was directed at you. As i said, I can't knock your attitude at all.

Cheers,
Mike
pedalenclosures

Post by pedalenclosures »

Hi poorbob,
Self-indulgence is underrated.

I have a good friend that is ridiculously talented guy. Plays guitar, writes songs, sings, plays piano - just sick. I'm an above average guitar player (really good rythm player - ok lead guy) and it kills me to see such talent. I'm so jealous because I have to work so hard at it.

But he never developed his own voice. Jack White is an excellent example of doing just what suits him (I am a HUGE stripes fan), and the songs once broken down, are dead simple. Take any classic credence song, you can play it on an acoustic and it'll sound good. Jack White makes music for Jack White, Talking Heads, Beefheart, Zappa - I believe they had made that music if NOONE bought it. Maybe that naive, but I don't think so.

When I was younger I thought that talent/technical ability was what you needed. I don't really believe that any more. Surely, it helps (and stop calling me shirley!)

What is needed is a strong belief in your own voice. If that finds an audience then you're on your way, even if you don't make boatloads of money. Sure image helps, self-promotion all that stuff is important.

But if you comprimise your sound to find and audience, whatever that is, you're gonna have to live with it. And if you consider yourself an artist with something to say, I think that'll sting worse than not succeeding at all.

mike
Poorbob

Post by Poorbob »

Cool opinions guys.

Mike (pedal enclosures), cool to see another Stripes fan. I almost feel stupid for listening to his stuff because it is so simple, but then I reassure myself that it sounds great if I don't analyze it and everything goes back to normal.

Mike (mhat), I'm not so sure anyone is an expert at these questions so your opinion is what I'm really after. I didn't feel that your comments were against me at all, just really helpful.