Gear of the year 2021

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

daCod

Re: Gear of the year 2021

Post by daCod »

Rygar wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:46 pm Do it! I've never bought a new guitar with fake wear - but after a few hours playing up and down the neck it kinda gets buffed out and I came around on it.
Now after a few months with honest wear on top of the fake wear it is the best feeling neck I've got. It's hard to explain how it feels but I thought my 66 Jaguar had a warm and broken in feeling neck - this Mascis feels more great!
It seems as if maybe they spray nitrocellulose on a cloth and just rub it on? Felt kinda bad right out of the box. Needs to be played in and burnished by the skin!
And none of that over-tint orange and yellow Fender likes to do. Just some good light maple. And what looks like bong resin rubbed into some spots- I could do withouth that. That was weird but it clears up mostly. And the bottom of the head stock has a lot of cymbal hitting dents - could use a few less - I wonder if J likes to hit cymbals with his guitars, I do that with my jazz bass never seen him do it. Don't think he had the tele when he was hitting lou with guitars, haha.

Never had a top loading tele bridge. I can easily tell the difference. I love it. When you play chords with lots of open strings and octaves - it's there. If you like to emulate a sitar with a tele or attack it so as to elicit those sharp, buzz harp tele-isms a top loader is your bridge. I hadn't realized that there is much less break angle over and contact with the saddle. When you first bring the strings up to pitch you can sometimes feel the slack behind the saddle tighten up. There's some stretching and pulling going on. Difference is almost like a jaguar compared to a Jazzmaster. You can hear the metal in the bridge absorbing a bit of the vibrations. A little bit of plink. Like a gretsch space control bridge. I like guitar bridges that eat up a little vibration and sustain.

Haven't even had opportunity to plug it into most of my amps so have to save talk on the pickups other than they sound good and strong.
those are some persuasive verses right there :party: top load telecasters are killer. definitely a different vibe.
only thing i'd probably do is cut a new guard for it. not too sure of the shiny reflective mirror thing. i'm flashy but not THAT flashy lol
i'm off early thursday. maybe i'll dust off some trade bait and hit up my local supplier :marx:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

In chronological order, in pictures and sound:

Set of LANCE Wide-Range Mini Humbuckers for my Jazzmaster. Completely transformed the sound and usability of the guitar. Played it more than anything else all year. Stealth mode, too: with the covers on, they just look like standard Jazzmaster pups. They are not.

Sound like this: https://soundcloud.com/user-181791176/s ... 8Kbby4gFtL

Vintage Technology Orange Sunshine bought from Tracy Sands on eBay. Best $80 I ever spent.

Sounds like this: https://soundcloud.com/user-181791176/f ... L492ktaTrP

RoShi Pedals ELF Fuzz. Killer Japanese copy of killer Japanese copy of killer Muff.

Sounds like this: https://soundcloud.com/user-181791176/c ... 2bf446c8be
pulse.

Post by pulse. »

It’s a tie between the Wizz premium clones and my Marshall 1959HW modded to superbass with Merren OT
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

HorseyBoy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:06 am In chronological order, in pictures and sound:

Set of LANCE Wide-Range Mini Humbuckers for my Jazzmaster. Completely transformed the sound and usability of the guitar. Played it more than anything else all year. Stealth mode, too: with the covers on, they just look like standard Jazzmaster pups. They are not.

Vintage Technology Orange Sunshine bought from Tracy Sands on eBay. Best $80 I ever spent.

RoShi Pedals ELF Fuzz. Killer Japanese copy of killer Japanese copy of killer Muff.

Horsey Boy,
How does your RoShi Elf sound compared to Shiro's "R" fuzz? Have you had a chance to compare the two?
The-kangass

Post by The-kangass »

for me it has been deffinetly these three in no particular order:
Eiko Supa Jen
Blue Colander Defective Muff Transfer
Lauren Audio Mustang
hamoftruth

Post by hamoftruth »

The-kangass wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:49 pm for me it has been deffinetly these three in no particular order:
Eiko Supa Jen
Lauren Audio Mustang
Every time I see one of the Eiko Supa Jens it makes me super tempted to get one.

Yknow how a 1.5 is kinda squishier, while a MK2 is more direct and immediate? At least in my experience. Going from a 2-transistor Vox TB to the Eiko, do you find the same kind of "feel" under the fingers? Is the Eiko more direct/faster transients than a 2-transistor design? The clips always sound so good :badlove:
All You Need Is Fuzz

Good Dealings /w - SovtekFuzz, Doctor X, daCod, dangergirlstarship, TeleSoul, sideasoundlab, DBBlues
The-kangass

Post by The-kangass »

hamoftruth wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:55 pm
The-kangass wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:49 pm for me it has been deffinetly these three in no particular order:
Eiko Supa Jen
Lauren Audio Mustang
Every time I see one of the Eiko Supa Jens it makes me super tempted to get one.

Yknow how a 1.5 is kinda squishier, while a MK2 is more direct and immediate? At least in my experience. Going from a 2-transistor Vox TB to the Eiko, do you find the same kind of "feel" under the fingers? Is the Eiko more direct/faster transients than a 2-transistor design? The clips always sound so good :badlove:
I would say tonewise is pretty similar. with additional stage disabled it sounds more raspy and glassy, with enabled it has more MKIIish feel (little more compressed and so on) but both modes are that perfect 60's garage-rock tone.
If you like that, you cannot go wrong with this :freakout:
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Snagged myself an FBass this year and bought back my old Ram Head
20210309_153158.jpg
20210309_153158.jpg (442.6 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Attachments
sjwjn0jclgyys687e6ob.jpeg
sjwjn0jclgyys687e6ob.jpeg (276.51 KiB) Viewed 796 times
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Tin Shack King wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:44 pm How does your RoShi Elf sound compared to Shiro's "R" fuzz? Have you had a chance to compare the two?
I haven't tried his "R" fuzz. I have a Monolith Bug Bear Ram's Head that pretty much covers my Ram's Head needs. The Elf is a lot looser and raspier than that. More spit and sizzle, less sing.
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

HorseyBoy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:06 am In chronological order, in pictures and sound:

Alright Jamie!
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo