Tell us about your other hobbies

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Bert Ohlsson

Re: Tell us about your other hobbies

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

I like to eat good food, and my wife is a phenomenal chef!
Every once in a while - mostly in the summer - we eat surströmming. That is fermented herring.

It smells bad, but tastes better.
Hint: Never eat it without bread, potatoes and/or onions!
pothole

Post by pothole »

Bert Ohlsson wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:02 pm I like to eat good food, and my wife is a phenomenal chef!
Every once in a while - mostly in the summer - we eat surströmming. That is fermented herring.

It smells bad, but tastes better.
Hint: Never eat it without bread, potatoes and/or onions!

I'm curious to try that now.
peps1

Post by peps1 »

Cool thread!

So....music aside, I'm a little obsessed with 3D printers, microcontrollers, trying to learn Python, Art (was very much into graffiti when I was young enough to hop a fence), Open-source hardware, and just started playing DnD with a few friends after not playing since the 90's as a kid.

Have horrific anxiety due to CPTSD, so love the distraction of learning new stuff.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Growing up, I worked in professional kitchens as side jobs and in the summers to make some extra cash.

Now I participate in cooking competitions that are specifically related to barbecue and grilling. I participated in the Swiss National Barbecue team events before the pandemic hit. I am really into Japanese San Mai knives and cooking in general.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

walkingtiger wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:19 pm Remember when Ebola hit the gutter?! Place is legendary!
Ha that Ebola scare was from a dude visiting on a Wednesday night. Story broke on Thursday and before we knew it our league was cancelled that night and they were shut down for a few days for cleaning etc. We actually had on team on that league named EBOWLA, too! Soon after they changed their name to Legionspares Disease.
walkingtiger

Post by walkingtiger »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:44 pm
walkingtiger wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:19 pm Remember when Ebola hit the gutter?! Place is legendary!
Ha that Ebola scare was from a dude visiting on a Wednesday night. Story broke on Thursday and before we knew it our league was cancelled that night and they were shut down for a few days for cleaning etc. We actually had on team on that league named EBOWLA, too! Soon after they changed their name to Legionspares Disease.
Lol that’s so nuts there was a team called Ebowla! I remember that night well, as I worked close by. The TV reporting crews camped out on that block for the next couple nights straight! Such a random block in Brooklyn to get national attention for a glimmer of time. It’s good to see that they are still running and the pins are a still droppin!
peps1

Post by peps1 »

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 pm HA. I should really say UK/Irish food, but yeah. It's historically gotten a bad rap stateside but Americans dont know what they're talking about.
Think that's still a legacy from all the US troops in the UK during the 40's not grasping the off base notion of food rationing.
Bert Ohlsson

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

An interest of mine concerns a special organ for movement regulation, deep down in the mid brain - The Basal Ganglia. It's been
well known for hundreds of years, with its central motional function. What fascinates me is Basal Ganglia's schematics, with a lot of
internal (and external) loops. What is the function of these internal loops? - And especially in connection with this other very important
brain organ also for movement, in the lower back of the head - 'The small brain' or Cerebellum.

Cerebellum & Basal Ganglia.jpg
Cerebellum & Basal Ganglia.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

This brain organ - Cerebellum - has a totally different inner organisation than Basal Ganglia. No loops whatsoever, only branchlike structures!
What does this mean? How do the two organs collaborate with an optimal regulation of our movements? Can we understand some of that through
their inner schematics?

Old Basal Ganglia schematics.jpg
Old Basal Ganglia schematics.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
New Basal Ganglia schematics.jpg
New Basal Ganglia schematics.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Cerebellar schematic representation.jpg
Cerebellar schematic representation.jpg (222.46 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Cross-section cerebellum.jpg
Cross-section cerebellum.jpg (48.69 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
superslidetail

Post by superslidetail »

That's some cool shit, Bert!
Orange Haze...it ain't Purple no more...
Bert Ohlsson

Post by Bert Ohlsson »

:badteeth:

I'm glad you think so too!