Fake?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

fever606

Re: Fake?

Post by fever606 »

jreeves47 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:22 pm pointing out the red flags only helps the scammers improve.
educating potential buyers to avoid scams, or helping scammers improve... helluva double-edged sword...
Lach

Post by Lach »

I think unfortunately he was the victim here and is fronting up, unlucky. He's just a fan of the fuzz and got duped
so&so

Post by so&so »

fever606 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:12 pm
jreeves47 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:22 pm pointing out the red flags only helps the scammers improve.
educating potential buyers to avoid scams, or helping scammers improve... helluva double-edged sword...
Informing potential buyers seems like the lesser of evils. I prefer to believe that a well informed consumer base will dissuade scammers more so than gatekeeping.
jreeves47

Post by jreeves47 »

fair enough, inform at will ;)
peps1

Post by peps1 »

jreeves47 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:22 pm I don't entirely trust that he was unaware of the scam, and I don't think that all the weirdness of this pedal should be publicized.
I can totally see that point of view, I have never had a listening form Reverb removed, but would assume that there is a reason given such as being 'counterfeit' and my first instinct would be to ask why, rather than just post it for sale on another platform.....or just come to this forum. But, I tend to assume the best in people.

But, the guy seems to be a genuine fan of the captain's work, and has a better collection of gear than me!

Have a feeling this will end up going back to Japan, and become a regular bad penny popping up for sale.

Personally see no issue with pointing out that Dave can spell guitar, and no Englishman would use the MM/DD/YYYY format, but addressing all the oddities would probably aide the maker over the buyer in this case, as pointed out it is a double-edged sword.

I think it's a fake, but guess we also have to keep in mind Dave could have just had a bad day with his spelling and we are looking at a unit that had its guts taken out... end of the day only one man can say one way or the other.

I don't have an issue with white washers to protect the paint finish, though they seem to get taken off every FY6 build I put them on so have abandoned that practice.....but I do draw the line at double white washers here used on the inside and outside!
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

so&so wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:57 pm
fever606 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:12 pm
Informing potential buyers seems like the lesser of evils. I prefer to believe that a well informed consumer base will dissuade scammers more so than gatekeeping.
The only reason why we're able to spot counterfeit boutique (and vintage!) pedals is because the scammers aren't smart enough to make a convincing fake. It's not rocket science, so if the people making the fakes learn about what went wrong, then at some point, even the people on this forum won't be able to confidently rule out an unusual pedal.

The general consumer base for boutique fuzz pedals apparently is pretty clued up about dodgy pedals. Unfortunately, there will always be someone outside the boutique fuzz scene who knows just about enough -- that D*A*M, Pigdog etc pedals are desirable -- to jump on what they believe to be a bargain D*A*M MKII, without realising that the deal is too good to be true. I'd wager that whoever put this fake pedal together didn't sell it for the market value of a D*A*M MKII, because that would likely have to have been facilitated by a public sale, which would then have aroused the suspicion that there now is. This D*A*M MKII was probably traded around privately, and for a seemingly cheap price. This is already how a number of the counterfeit vintage pedals have come into wider circulation (built by Justin Harrison's outfits, but trickled out to and via dealers like Pedalpawn & Soundspace).

Gatekeeping gives me gross illuminati elitist vibes as well, but it's impossible for absolutely everybody to be fully clued up about what are ultimately very subtle details in stompboxes. It only takes one optimistic/naive/horny investor to pay £700 to a random back-alley scalper for a DIY pedal that they have been trinked into believing is worth a lot more, as a D*A*M OC81D MKII nowadays is.
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

It’s deffo a catch 22, hard to know what’s for the best

Reaffirms the fact that I will only buy direct from the maker nowadays, sad state of affairs

Glad I went through the gazillion fuzz boxes I did when it was a good time to do so
’brutish in character but not thug like’
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

This thread should be moved to “the secret section” where only logged in members can see. At least there it would stop potential scammers reading up on this kind of thing, unless of course they are members here already :paranoid:
peps1

Post by peps1 »

Guess the conventional use of provenance with high ticket items is a little harder with pedals and music gear considering just how much and the manner they change hands.....and cant see many builders opting for options like using blockchain technology to help keep a chain of provenance.....one of the few places I think NFT's have valid use.

But the sniff test is going to get easier and easier to pass on these pedals, same with anything worth taking the time to fake.
so&so

Post by so&so »

To the point of informing the scammers, the wealth of information and imagery that exists on this site/forum and elsewhere should have already informed scammers enough to make an aesthetic and craft accurate fake.