FIling Down My Nut......

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

CONAN
You cajn't bajn me

FIling Down My Nut......

Post by CONAN »

I play 13 guage strings in dropped G#. I would rather the nut was filed down and the intonation was fixed so that I can rest assured the guitar is sounding its best.....

Should I pay someone to do it or learn how to do it myself?
pedalenclosures

Re: FIling Down My Nut......

Post by pedalenclosures »

Hey Conan,
You really need a set of nut files to do the job right, do you have those? (they are not cheap!) If you don't have access to them, you'll spend more getting them than paying for someone to do the work and the setup...
m.
welshchris

Post by welshchris »

yeah take it to a shop, I had a local shop put a new nut on my tele and they only charged me £10 so I'd say to just have your nut cut would be dirt cheap... they might even do it for nothing while you wait, it's a few min job to run the file through... you can do the intonation and truss rod stuff very easily yourself.

though if you're not sure with any of this I can't imagine it costing a lot to pay someone to sort for you.
Last edited by welshchris on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
... No I can't turn down
angelsmoke

Post by angelsmoke »

Sickle wrote:When in doubt, pay some one who knows what they're doing. Ask to watch so you learn how to do it next time.
I'm still coming to terms with the fact, that I'll always just be a "User"
I was going to attempt to install the original pickups, in my 76 Blackie...but since I have a hard time just stringing my axe "evenly", I think I'll heed your advise and pay someone to drop them in.

Users of the world unite!!!! :headbanger:
CONAN
You cajn't bajn me

Post by CONAN »

http://www.tomsonguitars.co.uk/

This feller (Richie is the top man's name) does guitar repairs etc.....

He has fixed up my Fender Jazzmaster / Fender Jaguar and the Dean Flying V that we all know and love and he has been sound all the way through.

He is going to accept my guitar at 9 am on Wednesday next week while I go to a training cousrse in nearby St Helens and then I can collect it later that day. For £30 he is going to sort the nut out and do a full set up.

He is a top guy and I would go out of my way to get a guitar sorted by him (ALLLLLLL the others in the area said it would be weeks but Richie asked me how long I could do without it for and when I said.... 5 minutes please..... he said he would do it same day....).

Well recommened - he is a top guy.

J