Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post goodies for sale, buy and trade stuff.

Moderators: The Captain, devnulljp

59junior
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:13 pm

Re: Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post by 59junior » Mon May 04, 2020 4:14 am

skelt101 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:17 pm
59junior wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:01 am
Hi, I know this is a looong shot but I've been on the lookout for a DAM chicken coop and a DAM 1965. I know these aren't easy to come by. Does anyone have a potential lead on either of these? I appreciate the help.
Where are you located, 59junior? I might be willing to part with a 1965...
Im in the USA (TN). I'd love to work something out. Can you email me? My email is crlong at gmail dot com

Thank you
59junior
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:13 pm

Re: Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post by 59junior » Mon May 04, 2020 4:17 am

stella_blues wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:11 am
59junior wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:01 am
Hi, I know this is a looong shot but I've been on the lookout for a DAM chicken coop and a DAM 1965. I know these aren't easy to come by. Does anyone have a potential lead on either of these? I appreciate the help.
Hey man, not sure if there’s any left but the Captain has a 1965 listed on his direct page...

https://stompboxes.co.uk/prices.html

Good luck :tu:
Thanks for the heads up. I tried and it looks like they are currently sold out once you click through to paypal. I appreciate it though.
User avatar
daCod
Posts: 9224
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: BunzTown NE

Re: Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post by daCod » Thu May 14, 2020 7:08 pm

needing some assistance. i'm looking for a 3 position rotary switch to use for a pickup selection switch. neck/middle/both operation. found this but not sure if it'll work for what i'm after.

https://tubedepot.com/products/three-po ... bhEALw_wcB

Image
Image
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

all you need is love baby, you're a rich man :tu:
User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu May 14, 2020 8:09 pm

Nah. You need a switch that has at least two poles. The one you show has only has one pole with three throws (1P3T) so it could select any of three pickups, but there's no way it could select both.

This diagram shows the wiring for a 4 pole / 3 throw (4P3T) rotary. Its from the Gear Page, sorry. Each quadrant represents one pole, and the outer ring of terminals shows that each pole can connect (be "thrown") to one of three terminals. In this case when the switch is in position 1 you can see that only the neck HB is connected. In position 3 its only the bridge, and position 2 connects both.

Image

Alpha makes a ton of options at varying ability but they all have a little retainer ring that allows you to limit the number of positions. This one would work. Its a 2 pole 6 throw, but if you put the retainer in the right place it will make it a 2 pole 3 throw:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Al ... d0doVZo%3D
User avatar
daCod
Posts: 9224
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: BunzTown NE

Re: Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post by daCod » Thu May 14, 2020 8:22 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:09 pm
Nah. You need a switch that has at least two poles. The one you show has only has one pole with three throws (1P3T) so it could select any of three pickups, but there's no way it could select both.

This diagram shows the wiring for a 4 pole / 3 throw (4P3T) rotary. Its from the Gear Page, sorry. Each quadrant represents one pole, and the outer ring of terminals shows that each pole can connect (be "thrown") to one of three terminals. In this case when the switch is in position 1 you can see that only the neck HB is connected. In position 3 its only the bridge, and position 2 connects both.

Image

Alpha makes a ton of options at varying ability but they all have a little retainer ring that allows you to limit the number of positions. This one would work. Its a 2 pole 6 throw, but if you put the retainer in the right place it will make it a 2 pole 3 throw:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Al ... d0doVZo%3D
:cheers:

i should have just sent you an email mr T. you aided in my ridiculousness that was a 20-some diode rotary switch for a god city brutalist pedals i put together a couple years back :hihi:

so what for middle position just jumper the two pickups to one of the unused quadrants?
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

all you need is love baby, you're a rich man :tu:
User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 pm

DOH shit I misread that. How many pickups are you working with here and what are the selector option you want?
User avatar
daCod
Posts: 9224
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: BunzTown NE

Re: Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post by daCod » Thu May 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 pm
DOH shit I misread that. How many pickups are you working with here and what are the selector option you want?
Well the build is right up your alley.

https://imgur.com/a/Cxcjqm1

Pickups are Two 60’s Hofner Staple Humbuckers (2 conductor wiring) and I’m looking standard les Paul style switching ie neck / both / bridge.

Controls being Master volume w/treble bleed cap/resistor thing.
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

all you need is love baby, you're a rich man :tu:
User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Thu May 14, 2020 10:03 pm

GOOD FUCKING GOD. Just put that thing in the mail to me and tell me how many amps you want in return.


Gotcha. I re-read the original post and got thrown by "middle". Made me thing there were three pickups. For two pickups the diagram I posted is correct for your guitar. "Pos II" in the pic represents the middle position with both pickups active. You only need the top two quadrants as shown. Here's a diagram of how the connections would be made at the three positions:

Image
User avatar
daCod
Posts: 9224
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:01 pm
Location: BunzTown NE

Re: Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post by daCod » Fri May 15, 2020 1:06 pm

maybe when it's done we'll talk :hihi:

i found this in the parts bin with all the extra diodes i bought for the brutalist build. i guess i doubled up on everything for that one.
would it work for what i'm after? would need to solder to one of the pole stumps since they've been cut off.

Image
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

all you need is love baby, you're a rich man :tu:
User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Halp! I can't find _______!!!!!

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Fri May 15, 2020 3:15 pm

It will work IF it originally had those poles and you cut them off. Its tricky though because they use same format for many switches. I have one in front of me thats a 1P12T and it looks exactly like what you posted (minus the sexy red) with a full lug for pole A, nubs for B and D, and a space for C. It never had full poles for B and D but it looks like they were cut off at the factory like that. You can do a test with that one and just start turning it. How many positions does it have? If it has 12 then no, it wont work for you. You could also do a continuity test with a multimeter and see if, with the switch at any position, is the B lug connected to any of lugs 1-12?
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest