1966, 2010.

The Italian two-transistor king of the bee's.

Moderator: The Captain

AGuitarPlayer

Re: 1966, 2010.

Post by AGuitarPlayer »

stopmaykinsense wrote:
1bottlerocket wrote:
stopmaykinsense wrote:
Scott wrote:it would be so cool if we could line up all of the different 1966 DAM pedals
with all the different transistor 'line ups' and do one big 1966 demo to see
the actual tone differences between them. :marx:

To be honest, I'd be surprised if many people could tell much of a difference. Surely some will sound noticeably different, but on the whole I bet it would all start to sound pretty similar.
Side-by-side makes it easier to tell a difference and I can hear subtle differences between the models I have and that usually occurs at the higher attack settings. Yes, it does start to sound similar after awhile though.
So Tim-do you have one of the new ones? A certain someone I know just nabbed a new pink one off evil bay for a rip roaring low price, it's loaded with OC83/OC76 combo. I wonder what that OC83 will do to the circuit? :marx:
That was one helluva price. The one I just got from Downstroke cost just a hair less after shipping.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

stopmaykinsense wrote:
1bottlerocket wrote:
stopmaykinsense wrote:
Scott wrote:it would be so cool if we could line up all of the different 1966 DAM pedals
with all the different transistor 'line ups' and do one big 1966 demo to see
the actual tone differences between them. :marx:

To be honest, I'd be surprised if many people could tell much of a difference. Surely some will sound noticeably different, but on the whole I bet it would all start to sound pretty similar.
Side-by-side makes it easier to tell a difference and I can hear subtle differences between the models I have and that usually occurs at the higher attack settings. Yes, it does start to sound similar after awhile though.
So Tim-do you have one of the new ones? A certain someone I know just nabbed a new pink one off evil bay for a rip roaring low price, it's loaded with OC83/OC76 combo. I wonder what that OC83 will do to the circuit? :marx:
I picked a Japanese unit up. This one is loaded with a TI OC82D and Mullard OC76.

If the OC83 MK II is like the OC84 Sola I can say with a high degree of confidence it will sound excellent. The D*A*M SOla MK II is tops for me and been there since I picked it up. I love the Fuzz Sound but the Sola does something different that I really love.

Right now I am in lames-ville with playing. I have been so busy at work I come home, eat, clear my inbox and grade more papers.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

stopmaykinsense wrote:So Tim-do you have one of the new ones? A certain someone I know just nabbed a new pink one off evil bay for a rip roaring low price, it's loaded with OC83/OC76 combo. I wonder what that OC83 will do to the circuit? :marx:
The Captain wrote:
Canadian Steve wrote:What are the differences between the OC71/OC76 vs. OC83/OC76? Also, how close to the Super Bee pedal is the more muscular Super Bee setting on the 2010 '66?
OC71/OC76 - smoother, a little less gain.

OC83/OC76 - mote bite, s'more gain.

T'is only subtle but its there.

The Super Bee pedal has more midrange drive. The Super Bee setting a'la 2010 has more low end push and shove.

I've got violet one and love it. Still curious about older 1966s... I guess I just need to get one and compare myself :hihi:
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

A few words, as requested...

The real old shit, I would image, would be a little more raspy and not as smoothed out as some of the later units. The more original units that I hand through my hands the better a understanding I had about how the pedals were produced so as time passed I was more able to set-up circuits in certain ways to achieve the set sonic goals.

Transistor section isn't about the device type as such. I'll use a certain transistor for a certain task as the gain will fall into a certain brackets. As in, I could use an AC125 or an OC75 in the first position and they'll yield the same result when combined with say an OC76 in the second stage.

Without over complicating things I tend to set-up the 1966 in two certain ways, the original units will display these characteristics also. Its very basically either smooth or raspy and then branches that extend from that. As in, a unit packing an OC71 will be smooth but alot smoother than a unit with a AC125 under the hood.

I believe Philips clip would have been my old unit, that had dual SFT's. That tone is at the extreme end of raspiness for this circuit type. I dig that sound a lot. Reminds me a lot of the fuzz tone on some of the early Grand Funk tunes.

http://stompboxes.co.uk/downloads/1966% ... %20mp3.mp3

The 1966's I send over to Japan on a whole are a lot smoother. Compare the tone of Philips clip above with Yasushis clip below. Same pedal type, different set-up.

http://stompboxes.co.uk/downloads/DAM_c ... uehara.mp3

All the new units have been pretty smoothed out, tone wise. I guess if you are after either one of the extremes you want either a dual SFT unit, mucho raspy torn speaker big hair tones, or anything packing a OC71, crispy fresh smooth as boobs tone.

Dunno if that helps any. It's always odd with this shit as sound is very subjective so better or worse is kinda in the ears of the beholder. I really like the extreme rasp killer bee kinda sounds some of the originals spew forth, but as an example of the subjectiveness I have been sent vintage pedals that sound like that and the owner may hate the shit out of it and want it re-biasing. Each to their own, ay.
imguitardan

Post by imguitardan »

Great info Cap!

FWIW, I have an SFT/OC76 (Psycho Lime) and it's pretty damn raspy. I love it! I just compared it to AGuitarPlayer's new Gold (OC83/OC76) and his was very similar yet with more of an emphasis on the low mids while mine has a more high mid push.
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
AGuitarPlayer

Re:

Post by AGuitarPlayer »

imguitardan wrote:AGuitarPlayer's new Gold (OC83/OC76)
Aherm, I think you meants TI OC82D? :badteeth:
imguitardan

Re: Re:

Post by imguitardan »

AGuitarPlayer wrote:
imguitardan wrote:AGuitarPlayer's new Gold (OC83/OC76)
Aherm, I think you meants TI OC82D? :badteeth:
^^^ Yeah. What he said. ^^^
New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become.

Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
superfuzz

Post by superfuzz »

The Captain wrote:
I believe Philips clip would have been my old unit, that had dual SFT's. That tone is at the extreme end of raspiness for this circuit type. I dig that sound a lot. Reminds me a lot of the fuzz tone on some of the early Grand Funk tunes.

http://stompboxes.co.uk/downloads/1966% ... %20mp3.mp3

The 1966's I send over to Japan on a whole are a lot smoother. Compare the tone of Philips clip above with Yasushis clip below. Same pedal type, different set-up.

http://stompboxes.co.uk/downloads/DAM_c ... uehara.mp3

All the new units have been pretty smoothed out, tone wise. I guess if you are after either one of the extremes you want either a dual SFT unit, mucho raspy torn speaker big hair tones, or anything packing a OC71, crispy fresh smooth as boobs tone.

Dunno if that helps any. It's always odd with this shit as sound is very subjective so better or worse is kinda in the ears of the beholder. I really like the extreme rasp killer bee kinda sounds some of the originals spew forth, but as an example of the subjectiveness I have been sent vintage pedals that sound like that and the owner may hate the shit out of it and want it re-biasing. Each to their own, ay.
Sorry newbie question. New to playing guitar/stompboxes/amps etc. I love the raspy 'wasp in a jar' psych sound created in the 1966 demo clip above can anyone help as to how to recreate that sound?
Oh an is anyone willing to part with an dual sft 1966 pedal :oldgrin:
TIA
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

I had a big luck finding dual SFT 1966 as they are very rare. It would be easier to get original Vox Tone Bender or ask one of our amazing builders to hook you up with one.

I guess that Philip recorded the clip using his old Gibson Historic 3 pickup Les Paul Custom and 1966 Vox 715 amp.

Good luck!