Orange in the NU Black

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

angelsmoke

Orange in the NU Black

Post by angelsmoke »

I had to brag...plus I have to get my "post count" up again in the new forum. :dance:
I came across this 4x12 at a private studio blow out sale yesterday.
$300 CDN... It's loaded with G12T-75's...I may pull those out one day because I already have the same speakers (80's version) in my JCM800 4x12

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for speakers?

I'm using a Les Paul and the Plexi as seen in pic. (and the usual artillery fire of DAM pedals)
I mostly play a Hard Rock 70's vibe, and some stonerbluesrootsgroove.

I was thinkin V30's but some have said they sound dull with the Plexi

I'm so hyped. An Orange cab!!!!! HELL YA!!!! ...It matches my Orange Lawnmower and my Orange socks

imlikeajungle

Re: Orange in the NU Black

Post by imlikeajungle »

I don't see any pics!

Tips for speakers: old Greenbacks or G12-65s. I read a lot of good stuff about the Weber Greenbackclones that are 'vintaged'. I think vintage GBs & the G12s are AWESOME speakers. Not very tight, but with a Plexi I don't think you'll be wanting to play Meshuggah anyway :headbanger:
imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

Now I see it too...
JP30

Post by JP30 »

Orange Lawn mower is very cool . .
So is Orange CABs :love:

Was that cab re-finished ? or is that the Original color??
May be you have to get your Plexi head re-finished in orange . . .
angelsmoke

Post by angelsmoke »

hey JP30...HA! I dig the weed wacker man..... :hihi:

Sickle > the guitar on the wall is a KENT electric mandolin...I picked it up at a yard sale for 10 bucks. I once saw the same thing in a vintage store for 300...crazy. I never play it. Just hangs on the wall.

I believe that Marshall issued a bunch in these colours, so I would guess it'S factory. But I like the idea of refacing the Plexi. I once saw a plexi with the just the front face , re-done with some psyche tie die. It looked pretty cool. An Orange reface on the front may be in the cards

thanks for the tips on speakers dudes...I'll look into some vintage G12's

Man...again I just have to say. DAVE MAIN IS THE CATS ASS!!!. I jammed last night in a killer studio. I was using a Fender Twin and the other axe player was using a Marshall stack 2000. Bass player had a Ampeg....BUT MAN>>> the Red Rooster and Fly with my Vox Wah was blowing away the boyz in the room. What a killer sound I got. For pure tone I totally blew away that 2000. They couldn't get over the fact , that the sound coming out of that little amp, was pure rightchus tone with volume. But we all know it was those little pedals that threw it down :headbanger: ....FUCKIN HEAVY!!!! ...steppin on the Rooster just brought it to the next level of tone shang-ra-la. I'm listening to the recording today, and it goes down on tape just like the live vibes too. What a night!

Thanks again Dave ...your the Main MAN!
angelsmoke

Post by angelsmoke »

Man ...I'm fucked. I opened up a can of worms buying that orange cab thinking I could drop in speakers. There are so many speakers and combos out there, it's mind bending.

"X" patterns, V30's on the bottom with G12H on the top, hellatone,...ect ect ect...I gotta fuckin headache .

I don't know what to do now.
:bangs head:
JP30

Post by JP30 »

angelsmoke wrote:Man ...I'm fucked. I opened up a can of worms buying that orange cab thinking I could drop in speakers. There are so many speakers and combos out there, it's mind bending.

"X" patterns, V30's on the bottom with G12H on the top, hellatone,...ect ect ect...I gotta fuckin headache .

I don't know what to do now.
:bangs head:
You just have to give into that MIND BENDING maddness, confusion and suffering.
It is FUN! and very pleasurable. . . :cthulhu:
angelsmoke

Post by angelsmoke »

Your right JP30...

I guess I'll just keep repeating to myself, "The Tone God is my Friend, The Tone God is my Friend,The Tone God is my Friend,The Tone God is my Friend."
:freakout:
imlikeajungle

Post by imlikeajungle »

Just buy whatever you can get cheaply second hand, try it, don't like it: sell it at the same price. Anyone can give any advice, but construction of the cab & teaming with the specific amp & guitar (and no two are the same) + what you want to hear makes it impossible to predict... I've had 20 vintage Greenback speakers & they all sounded different. Seriously different.