Master Volume in a Rooster?

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

hyeronimusss

Master Volume in a Rooster?

Post by hyeronimusss »

Love my rr with maximum boost :crackjam:
this might seem quite funny for a booster, but I don't need a great volume boost, I'd rather keep that sound around unity level
I'm thinking about adding a master volume to the circuit
Would that be a crime?
Funky Druid

Post by Funky Druid »

maybe You should build another treble booster with added master volume instead moding RR?
tigerdriver

Post by tigerdriver »

Would that not just make it sound different anyway?
I would think the result would be less overdrive and more noise, in which case you might as well just turn the Rooster down.
hyeronimusss

Post by hyeronimusss »

:hmm:
Cado

Re:

Post by Cado »

tigerdriver wrote:Would that not just make it sound different anyway?
I would think the result would be less overdrive and more noise, in which case you might as well just turn the Rooster down.
I think it would function more like the the Level knob on other fuzzes, affecting gain somewhat as it is lowered but would enable the user to get more dirt at unity level. I'd be able to get more use out of my Rooster this way. An internal trimmer would work just as well.
Creepyfingers

Re: Master Volume in a Rooster?

Post by Creepyfingers »

It's a booster. The sound you are hearing that you like is the preamp of your amplifier being overdriven by a loud signal. Its not happening in the pedal internally. Its a combination of the pedal and amp. The "boost" knob IS a volume control. You would just be adding a volume control after a volume control. Turning a booster down to unity gain = no boost=no fuzz/distortion.

--Brad
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

Listen to what Brad says.
Get an attenuator/powersoak that goes after the power amp and before your speakers.
Otherwise you're wasting your time and destroying your pedal.
I have a Ho attenuator on my AC30, the rooster pushes it into overdrive, the attenuator saves my ears.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
hyeronimusss

Post by hyeronimusss »

Creepyfingers wrote:It's a booster. The sound you are hearing that you like is the preamp of your amplifier being overdriven by a loud signal. Its not happening in the pedal internally. Its a combination of the pedal and amp. The "boost" knob IS a volume control. You would just be adding a volume control after a volume control. Turning a booster down to unity gain = no boost=no fuzz/distortion.

--Brad
I'm not competent enough to argue (infact, I'm quite ignorant on technical stuff, and on other things too)
But in my experience, if I use another pedal after the mighty Rooster (for example a Lo Driver with the volume dimed), I can get a fantastic crunchy sound at unity level - problem is that a) Lo Driver colors the sound b) I have to use it for other purposes at a different setting
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

hyeronimusss wrote:
Creepyfingers wrote:It's a booster. The sound you are hearing that you like is the preamp of your amplifier being overdriven by a loud signal. Its not happening in the pedal internally. Its a combination of the pedal and amp. The "boost" knob IS a volume control. You would just be adding a volume control after a volume control. Turning a booster down to unity gain = no boost=no fuzz/distortion.

--Brad
I'm not competent enough to argue (infact, I'm quite ignorant on technical stuff, and on other things too)
But in my experience, if I use another pedal after the mighty Rooster (for example a Lo Driver with the volume dimed), I can get a fantastic crunchy sound at unity level - problem is that a) Lo Driver colors the sound b) I have to use it for other purposes at a different setting
The Rooster will overdrive anything placed after it. You're just substituting the Lo Driver for your amp. What you are hearing is not your amps preamp distorting.
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

Brad of course is totally correct. That being said I think maybe hyperonimusss would like two boosters in series one to overdrive the other and that to drive the amp. Buy another booster and link 'em up maybe? Get a custom build from one of the builders here?
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.