Master Volume in a Rooster?

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

hyeronimusss

Post by hyeronimusss »

Thanks for the explanation Brad, now (I think) I understand. But this is what I should have asked in the first place: all I want is the Lo Driver on as a preamp (but with full volume, not dimed), and jump on the RR without the volume boost!
Would this work with a master level in the RR?
I'm fully aware of my dumbness :zombiehuh:
hyeronimusss

Re:

Post by hyeronimusss »

DucRyder wrote:Brad of course is totally correct. That being said I think maybe hyperonimusss would like two boosters in series one to overdrive the other and that to drive the amp. Buy another booster and link 'em up maybe? Get a custom build from one of the builders here?

That's a good idea...
Thanks guys for the patience :bangs head:
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

You already have a master level in the RR. If you added another volume pot, all it would do is reduce the output, same as if you turned the Boost knob down, so you wouldn't get a boost.
You need an attenuator.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
schultzvil

Re: Master Volume in a Rooster?

Post by schultzvil »

I might be a little off base, or maybe it was that last glass of wine,
but you are almost describing a ZVEX Super Duper.... (two SHOs in one pedal)
anyone?

lex

p.s. obviously minus the germanium goodness...
good deals with pigeontoe, wheelman, devnulljp, mjab-1, evergud
Cado

Post by Cado »

I was always under the impression that the Rooster's tranny provides a lot of the dirt & the boost in volume pushes the amp harder.
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

What about steves double sugar boost made by brad????
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
Dr.Sonic

Post by Dr.Sonic »

ThiS! :crackjam:

Creepyfingers

Re:

Post by Creepyfingers »

hyeronimusss wrote:Thanks for the explanation Brad, now (I think) I understand. But this is what I should have asked in the first place: all I want is the Lo Driver on as a preamp (but with full volume, not dimed), and jump on the RR without the volume boost!
Would this work with a master level in the RR?
I'm fully aware of my dumbness :zombiehuh:
Yo, like I said a booster set at unity gain (without the volume boost) will not give you any "dirt" you will just have to accept that. The 'dirt" is a product of the volume boost. Also again the RR has a volume control already. Adding one would be like adding a butthole next to your butthole.
To illustrate further, running a booster like the RR into an amp that has lots of clean headroom will only give you an increase in volume. No distortion. Until the booster starts exceeding the preamps headroom you won't get that tone. Although a Rangemaster circuit isn't a linear booster (it adds a hint of dirt) it needs another stage to hit to create distortion. Dr Sonic's schematic has dual controls for gain and output volume but its still just a one stage booster so unless its got another stage to overdrive it wouldn't address the problem you are facing.
That Deluxe Sugarboost I built was an attempt to create a sort of tonal emulation of the sound you get from the Rangemaster/amplifier preamp relationship at any volume. Fun

--Brad
Dr.Sonic

Re: Re:

Post by Dr.Sonic »

Creepyfingers wrote:Dr Sonic's schematic has dual controls for gain and output volume but its still just a one stage booster so unless its got another stage to overdrive it wouldn't address the problem you are facing.
You can remove the gain control from the schematic and use the volume pot of your guitar, that's in fact how I use a rangemaster.
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

Dr.Sonic wrote:
Creepyfingers wrote:Dr Sonic's schematic has dual controls for gain and output volume but its still just a one stage booster so unless its got another stage to overdrive it wouldn't address the problem you are facing.
You can remove the gain control from the schematic and use the volume pot of your guitar, that's in fact how I use a rangemaster.
hyeronimusss wants the sound of a Red Rooster boost without the significant increase in volume to his signal. No type of pre or post volume control can solve that problem for him. A pre gain control can vary "cleanliness" of the signal by lowering the input volume and hence lowering the output volume. Do that and you are no longer boosting or overdriving the amps input. Back to square one.
One thing you can do though is run your amp as distorted as you can put up with. That way the volume boost of the Red Rooster won't be as extreme when engaged. The cleaner the amp. The more obvious the volume boost will be. If you're used to running your amp dead clean I can't help you...