Fane speakers -- decipher codes (OT?)

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

devnulljp

Fane speakers -- decipher codes (OT?)

Post by devnulljp »

Anyone know how to decipher old Fane speaker codes?
Trying to determine power/ohm rating for some old Fane 125283 speakers from an 80s Vox AC30.
Looks like model # is 00125283
Any info appreciated:

Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
cubba

Re: Fane speakers -- decipher codes (OT?)

Post by cubba »

Dev
I can't decipher the codes for you,
but you can measure the impedence across the terminals with a multi-meter.

What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
Graham

Re: Fane speakers -- decipher codes (OT?)

Post by Graham »

I run a couple of cabinets with old Fanes in them including (BIG TIP HERE GUYS!) an early 15 incher in an old single 15 tweed cab - believe it or not I use that normally with a 1966/7 Park JTM45 - Hit upon the mix totally accidentally a few years ago - as I would have never in a million years imagined that they would make a reasonable let alone a great match!! I don't have that cab available to me right now though the speaker in it is a much older looking thing altogether.

On this one I think the last 4 digits might well have a clue in them 5283 could be last week of 1983 - only a shot in the dark

Generally speaker manufacturers had a universal code which was stamped onto the speaker frames - the first three digits generally signifying the manufacturer. I wont bother giving some examples if you take a briedf look at the first link - Webers very good pages on speaker identification you'll see what I mean - unfortunately I didn't see Fane there - (though I have little time)

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

Fane themselves had a rich history in the British "scene" whether consumer goods like radios and tv's or musical uses - probably finding greatest fame (off the top of my head) in Vox AC30's and some Hiwatts - though I could be wrong.. They began in 1952 - the 15 I mention above is early sixties by memory - and continue to the current day as you can see from the home website.

Hope this helps a bit - the impedance is an easy meter check - make sure the meter is on the right range or you might get a weird looking reading. From the picture it does look a more recent eighties or later style of build.

Probably sound great!

Graham

http://www.fane-acoustics.com/