Can a Fuzz box Cause a tube to Burn Out ????

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

6strung

Can a Fuzz box Cause a tube to Burn Out ????

Post by 6strung »

was testing a new amp, brought my tbender along, and while playing through the amp the a tube fried, replaced it and fried as well.

the amp is a Dr. Z 18 watt-er, and its a nice unit. The dude at the shop claimed the foot switch used was wrong, and caused it. But, can the mighty D*A*M tonebender kill an amp ????

I don't think so, but I need a techno-expert to tell me all is well, since a Dr Z amp (from another shop) will be in my hands later this week.

:headpop:
Last edited by 6strung on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
With Enough Courage You can do Without a Good Reputation.
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

What footswitch was wrong?
"If you want to write rock lyrics you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell."
6strung

Post by 6strung »

apparently, the boost switch for the amp, it suppose to over ride the eq ( set T M B @ 12 o'clock) but the switch was for another Dr. Z amp, not the one I was testing, the shop guy said it sent current into the amp and fried one power tube twice.
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

In what way were the footswitches different? I don't think this guy knows what he's talking about.
"If you want to write rock lyrics you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell."
6strung

Post by 6strung »

I don't know how the foot switches were different, and I think your right, he's full of it. I 've used these pedals in alot of different amps, and I can't see how a little 9v source could wreck a hand built power tube section, the tube fried a second time after the "bad" foot switch was taken out of the mix, i.e dropped all together.

That's why I'm asking if the pedal itself can fry a tube.
SonicVI

Post by SonicVI »

Something is wrong with the amp, or the tubes.
6strung

Post by 6strung »

that's what I needed to hear, this amp is an older version, on the floor, and probably knock around or something. Thanks for comments.
jerms

Re: Can a Fuzz box Cause a tube to Burn Out ????

Post by jerms »

if it keeps blowing tubes after one has failed, the first tube took out the screen resistor and it will have to be repaired to function again..... plus there's no way your bender would blow a power tube..... a power boost/overdriver might take out a preamp tube but no way a power tube would go..... probably a bad tube to begin with and that took out the screen resistor, so it'll keep blowing tubes till that resistor is replaced......
cubba

Post by cubba »

^^^ yup or maybe the tube socket has an issue.

Or maybe you have Satan residing in your fuzz, which would be pretty cool.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
imsilly

Post by imsilly »

Only if it was some ancient octal preamp, grid leak bias set up from the stone ages.

Also I've slammed a 1949 Fender Deluxe with a boost and never had any tubes fail.

The amp is borked and two tubes blowing in quick succession probably rules out faulty tubes.