D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKIV

Collaborations with originators.

Moderator: The Captain

The Captain

D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKIV

Post by The Captain »

Man alive! Cool new product number 5 :party:

Needless to say this point was going to come. Been making these Sola Sound Tone Benders for a good wee while now so only a matter of time before we get acquainted with the more technologically advanced of the family.
The origins. Tone Bender MKIII, Tone Bender MKIV. Same party different frock. Aside from the obvious differences in the enclosure type of these pedals any true solid definition of which is what in regards to circuit type is and will always be a little bit of an ambiguous subject. The way I always made sense of it in my head was in regards to the biasing. The early MKIII's were choppy, heavy, clumsy, a fuzzy lump hammer. The later MKIV's were smooth, dynamic, articulate, a distorted boxing glove. In between, you have a foggy transitional period. Even with the those definitions in place it never always runs true.

This here is a Tone Bender MKIV, because it says so on the tin.

Bias strings and amplitude. These psychedelic horrors are constructed with the 680k/100k bias network. This arrangement along with the careful selection of NOS NKT OC84N's offer your auditory processors with a rather delightful fuzz tone that is yet very much a fuzz box but with a good deal of liquidity and movement in its tonal repertoire. In other words it's not static in its dynamics or overly clumpy. This effector will handle overdriven tube amplifiers spectacularly well and has a very low noise floor even a high volume levels. The theme of function that I wanted for this project can be summed up as, flexible vintage. To accomplish this I have made two teeny tiny circuit modifications. Firstly, the tone controls treble cap was slightly increased in value to give the brighter side of the tone control a hair more volume thus making the full span of the tone control useful and capable of matching unity with the bypassed tone. Secondly, and a continuation of the above theme, the limiting resistor was slightly lowered in value enabling the MKIV of boosting volume rather than struggling to match the output of slightly hot humbucking pick-up. Subtle alterations that, to me at least, make the pedal a hair more flexible in a modern scenario.

Blast proof simplicity. The layout and construction style is basically lifted right outta the past. It ain't broke, don't fix it. The replica circuit boards are courtesy of the magical mind of Mr. Castledine. Modern materials but with the old school layout. The familiar use of quality components along with the addition of UK manufactured high tolerance metal film resistors, these just add a subtle tuck and lift and make things a little easier for me in the transistor selection stage. As previously mentioned, we are using the old school New Market OC4N's in these. A superb quality British made component that seems to be made just for the job. Just the right amounts of everything to make a killer fuzz box.

Cool new project number 5 but cool new project number 2 for Miss Haynes, Same deal as with the Fuzz Box. Transistor selection and set-up is all done by myself, the whole construction process is all down to Linz. The radical colour scheme is curiosity of Anthony Macari. It is actually a turquoise paint scheme with red and yellow screen print, which is kinda hard to photograph in a true sense. A true psychedelic visual assault that matches perfectly the psychedelic tones held within. As always a huge thanks to Electric Warrior and his vintage eyeballs for the handy work with the graphics.
I am really super excited about this particular Tone Bender. The colour scheme, the tactile nature of the enclosure and the flexibility and variations of sound it can produce make it a pretty radical fuzz box. Tone Benders, gotta love that shit. :tu:

Oh, and lastly. If you ain't used a MKIV type before. The fuzz control works in reverse, full fuzz, full left. Also note the input and output sockets are again reversed also. Trippy.

There are 50 pieces in this first batch. The story is the same with pricing info and acquiring said pedal should you be interested in said fuzziness. You need to contact the lovely people at Macari's.

http://www.macaris.co.uk/

We have no sounds as yet but I'll have it sorted.

Dig it...

joegagan

Post by joegagan »

beautiful. congrats.
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
edkoppel

Post by edkoppel »

holy shit, awesome!
Oh, DB? That's just slang for Dandy Big muff collector.
-----------------------
Tone Machines, Vintage Effects Blog: www.tonemachinesblog.com

Instagram: https://instagram.com/ed_skymall
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

About time. Congrats! :party:
Everything is transitional.
Mr. Min T. Fresh

Post by Mr. Min T. Fresh »

Dead fucking sexy!!!
I have a big dick and I challenge you to swallow it or fight me strait up.
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

:badteeth:
psycho*daisies

Re: D*A*M/Sola Sound Tone Bender MKIV

Post by psycho*daisies »

freakOUT! :crackjam:
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

DAmn yo, Ant email sent!!
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
modeerf

Post by modeerf »

Beautiful work fellas. The graphics look great electric, love the logo. And that color is supercool.
Another great Linzi fuzz, count me in.
Do Drugs, Worship Satan.
mjkk

Post by mjkk »

I'm just stunned, soo sexy and right on
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."