Fuzzy Bass

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

bazguitar

Re: Fuzzy Bass

Post by bazguitar »

the MUSE bass player always uses a Big Muff on his bass
in fact 3 big muffs, but not at the same time.
but here's a curve ball why not try a Z Vexx Woolly Mammoth
bass fuzz they rock :headbanger:
Arrakis

Post by Arrakis »

I play a 2003 Ric and a 96 ATK and my Zeke is my staple distortion unit and has been ever since I got it for a steal off ebay at Jon (Conan) expense ;) awesome box since I've had it I've passed on my trusty bass drive that was my main stay for ages. As far as The Dark goes I've found it very varying depending on your tuning. I've found very mixed results. Mine I think its #17 just seems so callapse when the Ric is in C or C# standard (I use a 5 string set and lose the G btw). I play though a Matamp Bass 200 so am pretty certain its not the amp, though I mean if people havent had this issue let me know as I keep meaning to get it over to Dave Green for a check up anyway. But anyway Zeke is the one you want nuff said, though its more of an overdrive/distortion than a full on fuzz monster. But I'm in total agreement with grygrx's response. I would like to hear a Dtuned bass though Conans Dark tuned Deluxe, bet that sounds awesome. As for the Titan, I had one of the silver sparkle ones from the BINs, must be coming up a couple of yrs ago, though I bought mine from one of the flippers, but yeah it sounded good to my ears though it preferred passive to active if i remember correctly.
Arrakis

Post by Arrakis »

+1 for the woolly mammoth too, sold mine to fund some D*A*M bits but it has to and will return to the fold at some point, a very good amount of bass and fuzz though I really dont like the 'pinch' control turned up at all gets far too 'velcro-y' for my taste and kinda does a spluttering gating thing too which just doesnt sound very natural to me. Having the pinch all the way off may be abit noisy but has a killer tone which slays most other bass fuzzes I've tried. Though I havent tried a bass oxfuzz yet though i do want to get my mits on one at somepoint..
fuzzface6669

Post by fuzzface6669 »

Cant tell what d a m to get but probably cant go wrong with one. For me I would say whatever Larry Graham used back in Sly recordings. Maybe a brassmaster fuzz ,I cant remember right now :headpop: . Need to find some more info on those.

Guess it all depends on your gear,style/or sound you are going for. Not to mention how it reacts to you and your gear. :zombiehuh: Bass fuzz is great and the world could use more.
jetofuj

Post by jetofuj »

Yeah, it would be cool to know what Larry Graham used on "Dance to the Music". I think it was rather guitar fuzz than Brassmaster.

Later on he used Juggernaut - of course it was different than current Proco reissue poo - and Lovetone Big Cheese.

Brassmaster can probably be heard on Curtis Mayfield's "(Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go" - pure awesome track, btw :freakout:
fuzzface6669

Re:

Post by fuzzface6669 »

jetofuj wrote:Yeah, it would be cool to know what Larry Graham used on "Dance to the Music". I think it was rather guitar fuzz than Brassmaster.

Later on he used Juggernaut - of course it was different than current Proco reissue poo - and Lovetone Big Cheese.

Brassmaster can probably be heard on Curtis Mayfield's "(Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go" - pure awesome track, btw :freakout:
Yup great stuff. I am a big Curtis Mayfield fan . Nice to know others dig that fuzz on bass on those great records.
chetz

Re:

Post by chetz »

Philip wrote:Greg Lake sounded rather cool with a MKII during his time with King Crimson and early ELP...

I have an original copy of that King Crimson album that we sat around and listened to while tripping on LSD or 'shrooms in the 70's. Great Stuff!

Peace,

Jeff

nad

Post by nad »

I didn't have a chance to try out my newish Dragonfly at rehearsal, so instead I just brought it straight to a gig.

UNBELIEVABLE. :cthulhu2: I normally bring several fuzz pedals wherever I may roam, but this was the only one I used tonight.

Thick yet grindy, cut through but sat tight, fucking wow fuzz on bass. I love it almost as much as my Sonic Titan!
"'Tis a world of creditors, of which the tomb and the worm are the last. There is little left for the devil, when these have taken their due account."
--The Skeleton
jerms

Post by jerms »

cool!.. i'll have to try mine on bass!!

woah a chetz post above you!.... this is an ancient thread here!!
nad

Post by nad »

I think I spend more time searching for bass info than reading new posts around here, but I also love zombies, so maybe that's why?! Image

I am on a mission to discover which D*A*M pedals work fantastic on bass. So far the Sonic Titan and Dragonfly are amazing. And while the Meathead worked, it wasn't quite my thing. But I can't live without an LED indicator, because I have become a tragic victim of modernity!

Next up I want to try a Super Bee. Or maybe a Grease Box?! I don't mind a little low end loss, with fuzzzzz I make up with xxxtra volume anyhow.

"'Tis a world of creditors, of which the tomb and the worm are the last. There is little left for the devil, when these have taken their due account."
--The Skeleton