Thunderbirds Are Go!

Up and coming builder? Sell your creations here...

Moderator: The Captain

Laundromat

Re: Thunderbirds Are Go!

Post by Laundromat »

I'm trying to move these quickly to fund the next new thing. And one of those is going to Seattle. :tu:
Condolences, the bums lost!
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

Italian Spiderman? No, this is the Italian Thunderbird. Based on my crusty old black Vox TB. The small can transistors seemed to fit the idea of a small footprint, so I went with it. The sound on the other hand is big, nailing the fuzz tones of the Stooges self titled album to a tee. Nasty rattling teeth.
Transistors used here are Texas Instruments made OC45 and OC72 with CV labels. Temperature stability shouln't be an issue with these.

Last edited by Laundromat on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Laundromat wrote:New things. Been meaning to make a MKIV for several years, but finally got around to getting it done. Based on a mistreated old Batman style MKIV that I feel sounds exceptionally good.

These two are fitted with OC78 transistors and Mullard tropical fish caps. The one on the left has a slight blemish on the logo print, so that'll knock a fiver off the price.

200€ + shipping
What's the difference with a mk3 and 4 here Antti? Are the batman types variants of the Park etc? 10uf caps?
daCod

Post by daCod »

please tell me someone has snatched these up - they are priced to move and i would imagine sound EPIC :award:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

Doc Holliday wrote:What's the difference with a mk3 and 4 here Antti? Are the batman types variants of the Park etc? 10uf caps?
The answers might differ depending on who you ask, but I'd say the distinction between MKIII and IV is the case they were built in. MKIIIs and early MKIVs (such as the Sola branded ones) used the same biasing resistor values that differ from the later MKIV circuits. These are based on the later MKIV, which is the same circuit that was used in the 3-knob Parks.
daCod wrote:please tell me someone has snatched these up - they are priced to move and i would imagine sound EPIC :award:
One Italian and both MKIVs still available. :tu:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Pm'd
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I've had a MK3 and 4 before. Both clones. The 3 I found to have a high mids thing going on which maybe didn't agree with my setup. It also lacked the bass the 4 had. The 3 was raw and aggressive while the 4 still had some guts and aggression was a bit fuller and more to my liking. It was based on a park 3 knob. Can't remember the bias string. It did have a 10uf though which I think gave it more bass. Sold it silly really. But I'm a fuxker for mojo. It didn't have the guts I would have liked. Though it sounded great!
It's like a woman I guess... it's nice to have some great chit chat but if she ain't packing the goods then it's time to try another. Looking forward to it!
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

These have 10 µF in there, but I'd say the difference in sound is very marginal from 4.7 µF.

The MKIV with a blemish in the finish now for 190€.
The slightly visually defective MKII from the last page still available for 150€.
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

Didn't want to clutter the section with a new thread, so I'll include it here.

The Clutch

This is a sonic carbon copy of a late 60s germanium Mosrite Fuzzrite. I loaned an original from Nick several years back just to test it out. I had no plans of making one, but after hearing it I knew I had no choice. Nasty, brutal, rattly, 3D... all of it. It sounds like kickstarting a bike. Rolling the guitar tone and volume knobs back it also seems to transform into a Nintendo style synth. Fast forward a couple of years and plenty of banging my head against the wall, we're here.

My idea was to make each of these in a different finish and I suppose there's enough colors in the world to make it possible.
These first ones are fitted with 2N404 and AC128 transistors. The finishes are tranlucent or anodized, which let the imperfections of the enclosure casting to shine through, giving it a crusty look. Let's start with something toxic and green...

*sold*
Last edited by Laundromat on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight »

Wow!! That looks amazing!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")