D*A*M Holy Roller demo by JQuick

D*A*M Audio/Video Clips

Moderator: The Captain

Philip

D*A*M Holy Roller demo by JQuick

Post by Philip »

This, to me, is one of thee best sounding pedal demos out there! I revisit it every now and then to drool and get inspired...

Such a great recorded guitar sound. :badlove:

With a couple of MKI's here with me, it got me thinking... What are the differences between the Holy Roller and the MKI?

I believe the Holy was Dave's attempt at a MKI before he'd seen one?

Anyway, what a great sounding pedal, amp, player, and demo! :freakout:
daCod

Re: D*A*M Holy Roller demo by JQuick

Post by daCod »

Holy Roller 2018 super Ltd run? Eh? Anybody? Anybody?
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Philip

Post by Philip »

Given how good it sounds, seems a shame for so few of them to be made and enjoyed.

:badteeth:
fendersilver

Post by fendersilver »

The D*A*M Holy Roller Mk1 review

JJ 09-19-2005, 01:30 PM
.....I've owned so many fuzzes and never been completely happy till.....

Quite a few months ago I began emailing David Main about Mick Ronson's fuzz. Contrary to popular belief, Mick's main Ziggy Stardust fuzz was not a Vox tonebender.Thru researching a number of photos, we discovered Mick's Ziggy era fuzz was none other than a Hurst MK1 tone bender. The sharp angled shape and gold cover let us in no doubt this was it.

As people on this board know David builds one hell of a fuzz. When i received mine, i certainly wasn't let down. Volume, bottom end, tightness and the great tonebender raspy quality were all there. All in perfect balance too.

I wanted to wait till i played it live before i posted this review. Last week i did my first gig with it and i was blown away.As we know here: there is nothing better than kicking on a fuzz for leads and blasting into the old stratosphere in fuzzed out bliss.
David's Holy roller also had that unique harmonic quality that again I've only ever heard in Mick Ronson's sound. (i'm not talking about the parked wah trick either).
a few surprises: the fuzz doesn't clean up!It's either on or its off. She has a lot of gain (my only critism -maybe a tad too much-then again this could be one of the the mk1's signiture quirks) You cant really back of your guitars volume to clean up the sound.Yet she screams likes a banshee like no other. This fuzz also sounds best in front of my Jen wah. The Jen helps tame the extreme qualities of the fuzz. I have never enjoyed a fuzz so much in my life. David put a lot of work into this one and it shows.
The Holy Roller is loud and rude but also has a unique warm harmonic quality to die for. If you like Mick Ronson or are after a fuzz that is different to the rest of the herd then this baby could be for you.
JJ

Location: Outside of Suquamish at the bottem end of Hawkeye's trail next door to Nooshkum

Post by anemochore »

Philip wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:37 pm Anyway, what a great sounding pedal, amp, player, and demo! :freakout:
Yeah and speaking of The PIG ...was compelled to look this up the other day.
Don't make me assume my ultimate form
Philip

Post by Philip »

Yeah, amazing sound! :freakout: :badlove:

Standing right next to a full up 200!! :shocked: :shocked:
Zuff-1A

Post by Zuff-1A »

"Holy Roller" '
Great sound and one of best pedal names ever !! :freakout:
Philip

Post by Philip »

Surprised to read it's high gain. Based on what is heard in his demo I assumed that they had less gain than a MKI.
stella_blues

Post by stella_blues »

daCod wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:58 pm Holy Roller 2018 super Ltd run? Eh? Anybody? Anybody?
The problem is the Captain would build them differently nowadays.....we need an exact clone like the Sola MKI....no tinkering just sonic replication :party:

I'm def in if you can talk the Cap round to doing a run :whistle: :hihi: :captain:
Philip

Post by Philip »

A Holy Roller with a first version and 2018 version switch like the MKI - Super Zee on a 1965. :smashed: