Super Bee SB-68 2017

Germanium fuzz tones for old school heavy minds.

Moderator: The Captain

mjkk

Re: Super Bee SB-68 2017

Post by mjkk »

Yes a got a fresh one
"Yes I remember a brave guy named Roger dancing around musicians and cleaning their shoes. Occasionally we gave him our broken pedals for repair to get peace for some hours."
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

I know I'm late to the Super Bee party, but I was wondering if anyone here has compared a 2017 Super Bee and a Green Bastard side-by-side. Since they both have three green jacket OC82Ds, are they similar in tone and feel? Did the Captain tune the circuit so they are completely different animals? I have number 14 of the Tommy's Guitar Shop run, and have always wondered how it compares to the Green Bastard.
norhyme

Post by norhyme »

I had two green bastards and made one video:
https://youtu.be/lDZezRN-fvo

True to its origins, the super Bee 68 has unmistakably more bass. To me it sounds like a MkII with a FuzzFace booty. The fuzz is rather smooth and hairy than raspy.

The green bastard sounds like an old school archaic bitch. Not a Neanderthal rather a Homo Sapiens fast-refined-lethal- with the right tools. Raspy and overtone rich - you can easily get octave up sounds in some situations and always grunting midrange.
“Interviewer: 'So Frank, you have long hair. Does that make you a woman?' Frank Zappa: 'You have a wooden leg. Does that make you a table?” ― Frank Zappa
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

norhyme wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:58 am I had two green bastards and made one video:
https://youtu.be/lDZezRN-fvo

True to its origins, the super Bee 68 has unmistakably more bass. To me it sounds like a MkII with a FuzzFace booty. The fuzz is rather smooth and hairy than raspy.

The green bastard sounds like an old school archaic bitch. Not a Neanderthal rather a Homo Sapiens fast-refined-lethal- with the right tools. Raspy and overtone rich - you can easily get octave up sounds in some situations and always grunting midrange.
Cleans up really nicely with the volume knob :badlove:
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
Tin Shack King

Post by Tin Shack King »

Thanks norhyme! I play a Tele and Strat almost exclusively, so my Super Bee doesn't seem overly wooly to my ears. I suspect it might if you plug a Les Paul or anything else with humbuckers. That said, I agree it's a rather thick-sounding fuzz (which is probably why I like it so much). Your description of the Bastard having more rasp and overtones sounds awesome; I guess I'm seeking a MkII with some of the rasp/choppiness of a Mk1. Thanks again for your input and the great video!!!