Fuzzy Bass

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

daCod

Post by daCod »

i'm no daily bass player BUT i do know when i play bass the Zeke was one bad bitch slamming an amp on the virge of dirt right in it's dirty face.

Zeke FTW :penta:
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
jerms

Re: Fuzzy Bass

Post by jerms »

i have to second the ezekiel.... one bad ass muthafucka!!!
nad

Post by nad »

Oh yeah, I'll get around to an Ezekiel, eventually. Hopefully when List #3 occurs, I shall be on it. But, that's a known quantity to work well on bass, so I see that particular pedal as Mission: Accomplished already.

The other stuff interests me more, as I'm not really a low-gain, mildly-dirty type. I crank my tube amps when I want it dirty. When I step on shit, I want it to count in a HUGE way.

Just as I take my boobs large, I prefer my dirt high gain. Give me fuzz or give me death! :cthulhu2:
"'Tis a world of creditors, of which the tomb and the worm are the last. There is little left for the devil, when these have taken their due account."
--The Skeleton
Rygar

Post by Rygar »

Never tried my Super Bee on bass, I will soon because it is a very bassy fuzz. D*A*M FR-70 is great and evil on bass.
jerms

Post by jerms »

nad wrote:Oh yeah, I'll get around to an Ezekiel, eventually. Hopefully when List #3 occurs, I shall be on it. But, that's a known quantity to work well on bass, so I see that particular pedal as Mission: Accomplished already.

The other stuff interests me more, as I'm not really a low-gain, mildly-dirty type. I crank my tube amps when I want it dirty. When I step on shit, I want it to count in a HUGE way.

Just as I take my boobs large, I prefer my dirt high gain. Give me fuzz or give me death! :cthulhu2:

try to find an earlier zeke.... i have #4 and it is super fuzzy like a cranked rat with the blend control...
nad

Post by nad »

jerms wrote:try to find an earlier zeke.... i have #4 and it is super fuzzy like a cranked rat with the blend control...
I think I just watched your video on the YouToobs, thanks! :smashed: I love my RAT, perfect for nights when I don't want to not be buried in feedback.

There was a newer Zeke on Reeeeeverb not long ago, but I didn't want to spend $600 on a single pedal. So instead I bought two pedals.........a Dragonfly and a new Dope Priest #7..........for about $600. Doublefuzz, halfprice! Wait, oops.

Will put an FR-70 on my list, evilbass is goodbass! Wait, again, oops. :cthulhu2:
"'Tis a world of creditors, of which the tomb and the worm are the last. There is little left for the devil, when these have taken their due account."
--The Skeleton
nad

Post by nad »

FUZXMAS UPDATE! :xmas:

So I ended up with a newer Ezekiel a few months ago. It required giving up the most money I've spent on one pedal, ever. Worth every penny! This is an incredibly usable pedal. So many amazing sounds, pretty much all of them outstanding to some degree. I don't see myself using Germanium mode very often because it's a bit quiet, but it still sounds good. So far I think the Silicon mode remains sweetest, but I tend to use :heandsup: LIGHT-EMITTING :heandsup: the most with my band. Plus, it is fucking huge. Some people prefer small pedals. Others know that big pedals sound better!

I snagged a new Sonic Titan at some point that tragically did not work well on bass at all. I was a bit surprised, since my old Sonic Titan Dark (still in permanent residence on my Big Board) works INCREDIBLY well, even with some mild low-end loss. Then again, part of the charm with quality gear is that different versions sound, well, different! This is good.

Ended up selling the Dragonfly to a friend, he adored the damn thing so much, I made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Only asking $200 for a mint condition D*A*M was my good deed of the day methinks. :smashed:

I use my Emanating Fist Dope Priest #7 Russian Flava the most out of everything. That pedal sounds so fucking HUGE that it absolutely kills kills kills on bass. Is it better than Zeke? No, no it isn't. But I use it more often, so maybe...?! Once again, size matters. It fits on my Pedaltrain Mini, so how big is huge anyway...?!

Lucifer Rising inbound shortly. Will it bass? Soon I'll know! :cthulhu2:
--The Skeleton
Creepyfingers

Re: Re:

Post by Creepyfingers »

fuzzface6669 wrote:
jetofuj wrote:Yeah, it would be cool to know what Larry Graham used on "Dance to the Music". I think it was rather guitar fuzz than Brassmaster.

Later on he used Juggernaut - of course it was different than current Proco reissue poo - and Lovetone Big Cheese.

Brassmaster can probably be heard on Curtis Mayfield's "(Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go" - pure awesome track, btw :freakout:
Yup great stuff. I am a big Curtis Mayfield fan . Nice to know others dig that fuzz on bass on those great records.

I believe Larry Graham was using the fuzz built into his Acoustic 360 amps back then?
nad

Post by nad »

FUZINAL FUZUPDATE?! Maybe. Kinda blew my proverbial wad on too much fuzz last year. And I don't really have my eye on anything else, having gone through or kept all those things I sought. I even reclaimed the Dragonfly that I sold awhile back. It works too goat D*A*M well on bass, so I'm glad to bring it back into my humble collection. Where, unless I am some kind of moron, it will stay for a long, long time to come. Suggested settings as seen below!

ALL HAIL THE GREEN FUZZ. :cthulhu2:

During other recent acquisitions, I picked up one of those orange MKIV Tone Bender thangs and an EFE Lucifer Rising, both with OC75 trannies. These two sound phenomenal, but it is a little redundant to keep the duo intact, so likely one will disappear into yonder lands eventually. I just can't decide which to have and to hold: I prefer the Lucy tonally with more volume and lows, but the Cool Factor of the orange firebreather cannot be denied. We'll see.

To be real honest though, I don't think either of those germanium triplets are ideal for bass. They work, it's true, and in a full band mix the Lucifer is particularly compelling (isn't it always that way with the Devil?), but they don't have an abundance of bass content, so depending on one's particular low end desires, neither may be sufficient. I can say that Lucy has more push to cut through a mix whenever it wants, whereas Orangie would be better suited as an always-on type of fuzz, dialing in the amp to suit your drummer between jams.

All that being said, if my blathering "advice" is bad and rightfully ignored, then listen to what everyone else says: if you want the fuzzy bass and have the opportunity to do so, buy an Ezekiel. They are all that and a bag of chips, in the parlance of our time.
--The Skeleton
nad

Post by nad »

Finally got to hear the Meathard Dark in context, along with the BUM Fuzz. Brought them both to a gig/jam last night. MHD makes some wild feedback along with being a mean as hell bitch, this deeply angry purple beast is your wild uncle that gave you weed when you were 12. BUM has a massive presence that cannot be contained, except that it is easily controllable so I guess I just lied. Intense low end, fuckin' heavy bass.

Both fucking kill on tha 4-strang thang, and make excellent complements to an Ezekiel. 666 thumbs up! :cthulhu2:
Attachments
FuzzThang.jpg
FuzzThang.jpg (133.7 KiB) Viewed 4121 times
--The Skeleton