Giving building a crack

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

squarewave

Giving building a crack

Post by squarewave »

Hi mates, after humming and hawing for the last few years I decided to take the plunge and have a go at building myself. Today I purchased myself a soldering iron plus a few basic tools - just ordered myself a silicone fuzz face kit. I've decided to go the easy route first cos if it gets difficult first up I tend to get angry and never finish so baby steps it is!

With luck on my side the kit should be here by the end of next week so I should be swearing happy swears by the end of next weekend.

Ill let you know how I go.

Have any of you guys or gals picked up building or become inspired to build from this community and have you continued to build and gone on to find you own voice?

Cheers

Andrew
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
resynthesis

Re: Giving building a crack

Post by resynthesis »

I think I started here, DIYSB and FSB at about the same time and I ended up building quite a few boxes - it does become pretty addictive. If you get into it, be ready to look up from debugging a build and see the sun rising :) I'd certainly suggest having a look at DIYSB and FSB, they're both full of useful info and helpful people although they don't seem to be as busy as they used to be.

I haven't really built anything since my daughter was born (and she'll be 6 soon) but I've recently started building again. This time I'm having a crack at modular synths so there's another rabbit hole to fall down...
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

Yes, looked at both of those.
The modular synth sounds like a challenge - I’ll stick to basic fuzz circuits and leave the clever stuff to you clever peeps 👍
Philip

Post by Philip »

Good luck and enjoy.

" I tend to get angry and never finish"

:hihi: :tu:
chankgeez

Post by chankgeez »

I was momentarily confused by the thread title.

Break a leg!
"Kiev is a hell of a town." - Larry King
Philip

Post by Philip »

:smashed:
daCod

Post by daCod »

For me it went like this: three BYOC builds turned into 2 God City Brutalist builds - one stock one modded - turned into I think I can mod my Marshall a bit :teeth2:

You can do it!!!
if you're ever in the shit, grab my tit
i like pedals when you know they're on
When I saw you with that lost look on your face saying you had just saw ET, I thought "uh oh, game over" - innerflight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

For me it went like this: Bored at work at looking at the internet and came across this early pic of a ZVEX Super Hard On:

At the time I'd heard rave reviews of them from friends but the price tag was always a bit big for me. Seeing that it was this many components and that it could be done on perf or strip type board sold me. Hit up the Radio Shack downstairs from my office and bought enough things to kind of make a working circuit. I had no idea what a JFET was so I used a BJT with some other assorted stuff. I didnt know how to wire a switch or a battery but I made something that worked, which was enough to get me ordering real parts and making more things. Here's the original build, with toggles to turn on the battery and the effect:

resynthesis

Post by resynthesis »

Re modulars:
It's possible to make some modules really easily. They may not track as well as the exotica but if you're into noise and lofi some things are really, really simple builds
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

Philip wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:14 pm Good luck and enjoy.

" I tend to get angry and never finish"

:hihi: :tu:

I will take your luck in the spirt I hope it is intended

I vow to finish and not get angry