Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb Handwired. Worth it? Good with fuzz?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Rocket Fuzz

Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb Handwired. Worth it? Good with fuzz?

Post by Rocket Fuzz »

Has anyone here played the Fender handwired 64 deluxe reverb? I'm considering a deluxe reverb and was just going to go for the regular reissue but came across the handwired version. At twice the cost I am very skeptical it will make any major differences, especially when used with fuzz.

Do folks here like the Deluxe Reverb reissue in general with tone bender styles fuzzes? My sense of having played them in Guitar Centers and other shops is that they would need to be cranked to get good tones. I'm not much for the shimmery cleans but the Deluxe reverb is nice and crunchy when cranked.

What I can say is I have the Fender 57 handwired champ, and that thing is AMAZING with my DAM/Sola MKII. But it is much less expensive than the Deluxe being only 5 watts. Trying hard here not to buy into Fender's marketing but when I turn on my Champ it is a challenge.
pothole

Re: Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb Handwired. Worth it? Good with fuzz?

Post by pothole »

I have a 1979 Silverface Deluxe Reverb and it's not all that great with fuzz. It's too bright and stiff for some reason, even with a bunch of different speakers.
Rocket Fuzz

Post by Rocket Fuzz »

Yea thats often been my impression. How about a Vox AC15? I'm looking to downgrade from a plexi which is just too loud.
pothole

Post by pothole »

Rocket Fuzz wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:51 pm Yea thats often been my impression. How about a Vox AC15? I'm looking to downgrade from a plexi which is just too loud.
Vox AC15 is perfect for fuzz. EL84's and fuzz are a perfect combo.
kluskie

Post by kluskie »

I use a tweed champ for most around the home playing and it sounds ace with all types of fuzz - really lets the character of each pedal to shine through. I also have a tweed deluxe with a Warehouse G12Q speaker and it replicates everything the champ does but with more power - that would be my choice. You can pick a clone up real cheap too.
Rocket Fuzz

Post by Rocket Fuzz »

So the champ, to my ears, is in a league of its own. I do struggle with the stiffness of the Deluxe, though I haven't been able to play fuzz through one. I've only messed around with whatever garbage pedals they had on hand at Guitar Center.

I've owned a Vox AC15 some years ago, and I sold it because I couldn't get it to agree with my fuzz pedals. It was pretty noisy and I couldn't quite dial it in. But I also was foolish in those days and probably had the treble up too high as a default.

Anyone here have a demo with a DAM tone bender and a Deluxe?
Rocket Fuzz

Post by Rocket Fuzz »

Stumbled across this clip: https://youtu.be/pO4mAO66H1Y

This guy has a DAM/Sola MKIV going into a deluxe reverb reissue and as one of the comments astutely observes: farting bees. To my ears this setup mostly sounds flat and shitty. Could have been how he dialed it in, and maybe the amp isn't cranked. But this really makes the case for EL84s and more breakup to really get to the good stuff.
MEH!

Post by MEH! »

I had a 72/73 Quadreverb and it sounded awesome with fuzz. Very different to a JMP or Plexi. Most of my amps now run on el34 platform but have a Baez Combo that was born with 6550's in the 70's, now running 6L6's and it sounds great
jerms

Post by jerms »

pothole wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 pm I have a 1979 Silverface Deluxe Reverb and it's not all that great with fuzz. It's too bright and stiff for some reason, even with a bunch of different speakers.
the vibrato channel has a treble boost cap wired directly to the vol pot.... how does the normal channel sound? there's no cap on that channel.... it's an easy fix to remove the cap on the vib channel....

i use my deluxes all the time to test my builds...
pothole

Post by pothole »

jerms wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:31 am
pothole wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 pm I have a 1979 Silverface Deluxe Reverb and it's not all that great with fuzz. It's too bright and stiff for some reason, even with a bunch of different speakers.
the vibrato channel has a treble boost cap wired directly to the vol pot.... how does the normal channel sound? there's no cap on that channel.... it's an easy fix to remove the cap on the vib channel....

i use my deluxes all the time to test my builds...
Hmm....I'll have to test that out and see. I typically use the vibrato side. I'll give her go on the normal ch and report back. Maybe the '79 needs to take a little weekend trip to Seattle for a dose of Jermsification.