Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb Handwired. Worth it? Good with fuzz?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Rocket Fuzz

Re: Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb Handwired. Worth it? Good with fuzz?

Post by Rocket Fuzz »

jerms wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:31 am
pothole wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 pm I have a 1979 Silverface Deluxe Reverb and it's not all that great with fuzz. It's too bright and stiff for some reason, even with a bunch of different speakers.
the vibrato channel has a treble boost cap wired directly to the vol pot.... how does the normal channel sound? there's no cap on that channel.... it's an easy fix to remove the cap on the vib channel....

i use my deluxes all the time to test my builds...
Do you crank the amp or are you pushing the fuzz into a cleanish amp?
pothole

Post by pothole »

Rocket Fuzz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:41 am
pothole wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 pm I have a 1979 Silverface Deluxe Reverb and it's not all that great with fuzz. It's too bright and stiff for some reason, even with a bunch of different speakers.
the vibrato channel has a treble boost cap wired directly to the vol pot.... how does the normal channel sound? there's no cap on that channel.... it's an easy fix to remove the cap on the vib channel....

Once things get going and my drummer starts getting into it my amp is around 6 or 7. So breaking up fairly well, and I run an old Greenback in that amp so that helps. But compared to my first gen hand wired Budda Superdrive 30, the Deluxe can't keep up with fuzz and distortion. But, maybe Jerms can solve this puzzle because I love the way the DR sounds...super clean and rich and deep...much more so than the Budda.
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

i do not think those classic ceramic celestion speakers you’d normally pair with marshall/orange are a good fit in bf/sf fenders
jerms

Post by jerms »

clean no louder than 3 on the vol
jerms

Post by jerms »

pothole wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:43 am

Once things get going and my drummer starts getting into it my amp is around 6 or 7. So breaking up fairly well, and I run an old Greenback in that amp so that helps. But compared to my first gen hand wired Budda Superdrive 30, the Deluxe can't keep up with fuzz and distortion. But, maybe Jerms can solve this puzzle because I love the way the DR sounds...super clean and rich and deep...much more so than the Budda.
deluxes are too quiet for a drummer in a rock setting.... that's what super reverbs are for! :hihi:
burgersalad14

Post by burgersalad14 »

jerms wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:45 am

clean no louder than 3 on the vol
Jim’s on the money here. Clip bright cap, Have an efficient speaker (I use an Eminence GA-64 in my ‘73) and the DR’s are very fuzz friendly. Don’t overlook SF units from the 70’s bargains can still be had out there!!
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I have quite a few Fender amps and I really like them all. As Jerms said, clipping the bright cap helps on the vibrato channel. I also use an Eminence Private Jack and had it rebiased to run 6L6 tubes. It reminds me of a low powered Twin or Pro. It's really nice. Forgot to add, it's a '71 Silver Face. You can find some pretty good deals on Silver Face DRs
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
burgersalad14

Post by burgersalad14 »

1bottlerocket wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:46 am I have quite a few Fender amps and I really like them all. As Jerms said, clipping the bright cap helps on the vibrato channel. I also use an Eminence Private Jack and had it rebiased to run 6L6 tubes. It reminds me of a low powered Twin or Pro. It's really nice. Forgot to add, it's a '71 Silver Face. You can find some pretty good deals on Silver Face DRs
Did you have to use a different output transformer?
Rocket Fuzz

Post by Rocket Fuzz »

So I see a lot of folks recommending finding a 70s examples. I actually decided to pick up a 65 reissue and I have to say, this amp sounds great. I have read many complaints about it but if you dial in the treble right (i.e. turn it the eff down) and crank the amp it doesn't get much better. Great tones by itself, takes the fuzz great. I think I like the firmness the amp lends to the fuzz. To go back to my original question: I cannot imagine the handwired version sounding $1300 better than the standard reissues and its (gasp) PCB....
jerms

Post by jerms »

Rocket Fuzz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:06 pm So I see a lot of folks recommending finding a 70s examples. I actually decided to pick up a 65 reissue and I have to say, this amp sounds great. I have read many complaints about it but if you dial in the treble right (i.e. turn it the eff down) and crank the amp it doesn't get much better. Great tones by itself, takes the fuzz great. I think I like the firmness the amp lends to the fuzz. To go back to my original question: I cannot imagine the handwired version sounding $1300 better than the standard reissues and its (gasp) PCB....
the biggest drawback for the reissues is the crappy Illinois filter caps that are used....