Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb Handwired. Worth it? Good with fuzz?

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

Rocket Fuzz

Re: Fender 64 Deluxe Reverb Handwired. Worth it? Good with fuzz?

Post by Rocket Fuzz »

jerms wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:45 pm
Rocket Fuzz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:06 pm So I see a lot of folks recommending finding a 70s examples. I actually decided to pick up a 65 reissue and I have to say, this amp sounds great. I have read many complaints about it but if you dial in the treble right (i.e. turn it the eff down) and crank the amp it doesn't get much better. Great tones by itself, takes the fuzz great. I think I like the firmness the amp lends to the fuzz. To go back to my original question: I cannot imagine the handwired version sounding $1300 better than the standard reissues and its (gasp) PCB....
the biggest drawback for the reissues is the crappy Illinois filter caps that are used....
Seems fixable enough? What would you recommend?
so&so

Post by so&so »

I’ve noticed that my friend who does amp work for me uses F&T or Jupiter. To put it kindly, he’s very opinionated. I assume that means they’re good products.
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

burgersalad14 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:52 pm
1bottlerocket wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:46 am I have quite a few Fender amps and I really like them all. As Jerms said, clipping the bright cap helps on the vibrato channel. I also use an Eminence Private Jack and had it rebiased to run 6L6 tubes. It reminds me of a low powered Twin or Pro. It's really nice. Forgot to add, it's a '71 Silver Face. You can find some pretty good deals on Silver Face DRs
Did you have to use a different output transformer?
Nothing was changed regarding the transformers. Jeff Bakos did the work on the amp. It’s easily reversible. The way he explained it was that you change the tubes and bias it up. The circuit is capable of handling the draw.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Rocket Fuzz

Post by Rocket Fuzz »

So I just had a chance to play the 64 handwired version at someone's studio. All I can say is WOW. I definitely do not have enough experience with vintage black face or silver face Fenders to compare (have played a few but never owned) but this custom shop version is above and beyond the standard reissue. $1200 better? No idea how to quantify that. But what I do know is the sensitivity, warmth, and round 3D-ness of each note sent me straight to order one. Cranked especially it blew the PCB version out of the water. Could be the better transistors, OT, speaker, who knows - maybe it's in my head! Oh well.

Most importantly: it sounded amazing with a D*A*M/Sola MKII at any volume.
rootfifthoctave

Post by rootfifthoctave »

i should hope you find zero transistors inside a replica ‘64 fender amp!
Rocket Fuzz

Post by Rocket Fuzz »

:badteeth: Sorry meant capacitors.
vanguard

Post by vanguard »

I think the bad rap black/silver Fenders get is overstated. I've used only a Super Reverb for years and years, including pedal tuning. Either channel is great, but I maybe like the normal channel better for fuzz. I set these Fenders with the bass and treble at zero. I get a nice mid boost that way. If I'm using a really dark guitar, I may turn the treble up a touch.
https://blackstrapelectrik.com/

Has anyone seen an Englishman called Gavin?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

British amps and American tweeds sound great with fuzz.
Zacharia Matilda

Post by Zacharia Matilda »

Totally. Go British, or earlier Fender.

I’ve never had good luck with my ‘67 Vibrolux with dirt pedals of any kind. It’s one of Fender’s 6l6 amps so not the same as a Deluxe. I think the smaller bottle Fenders are better tone machines in general. I like the Vibrolux for clean tones but it’s overdriven sound is stiff. My ‘62 Super is a much better pedal platform, and the Deluxe Reverb I used to have was a much smoother amp when pushed. I think blackface Fenders are way overrated, especially the bigger ones. YMMV.
"What we need is a love bomb. A 100% gold plated, purified love bomb."
Rocket Fuzz

Post by Rocket Fuzz »

Interesting discussion. So I actually swapped the 64 deluxe for the handwired 64 princeton to have something less loud for recording. In my own experience, and I use a P90 Les Paul and an explorer with Ox4 PAFs, these are special amps. The only stiffness I ever experienced is with the PCB reissue fender amps. They don't suck, they just have discernably less good tones than the better made stuff.

As always, it all depends on pickups and how you dial it in when using a fuzz. I wouldn't put a fuzz face in front a black face fender because they just don't do much magic without the breakup of a British amp IMO. But tone benders? I've learned over the past couple of weeks they can be amazing with the right fender. The Princeton hand wired breaks up real nice so that has been a great place to start.