Guitar stores in London

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

squarewave

Guitar stores in London

Post by squarewave »

Heya mates, headed over to old Blighty in March this year and would love to hear from those in the know of what guitar stores to hit in London Town. The vintager the better. I’d love to take an ac15 home in my carry on 🙃😀.

Thanks doods
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
Bigfoot2000

Re: Guitar stores in London

Post by Bigfoot2000 »

The problem is mate that Tin Pan Alley just isn’t the same anymore since the developers changed the area. You still have the overpriced Rose Morris but the gear is pretty generic. There are some of the old shops there like Hanks and Denmark St guitars but I can’t remember which ones of these are linked to the shady British Pedal Co / Music Ground. Can anyone clarify? There’s a new shop down there called Sixty Sixty which looks ok but they mainly sell new Gibsons. I don’t know where the vintage stuff is now.

Camden Town is a cool place to go and there is a Guitar Guitar there and Camden Guitars near the market.
Instagram: @bigfoot.2000
innerflight

Post by innerflight »

Hanks are the dodgy geezers

The problem is I think, the shops overheads are massive which make their prices massive
’brutish in character but not thug like’
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

Thanks for the info gents, I figured the the tin pan ally was going to be pretty meh and/or expensive. Fuck anything decent these days is fuck off expensive.
I wonder what Spain, Italy and France have to offer??
Gemma Thrush

Post by Gemma Thrush »

Macari's in Haywards Heath (train south from Victoria or Kings Cross or London Bridge) is obviously worth a trip.
Gemma Thrush

Post by Gemma Thrush »

If you stay on the same train and get off at Brighton, there's GAK, North Laine Music and Mudpie Music. All of these have a good range of new and vintage guitars, amps and pedals.
simonm

Post by simonm »

Also in Denmark St: Wunjo's is friendly and has some interesting used stuff, not outrageously priced. No Tom (formerly Vintage and Rare) have some top drawer but overpriced vintage stuff - worth a look, but not to buy. Regent Sounds has fairly ordinary new stuff, but interesting as there was a small demo studio in the '60s & '70s on the site, and the Stones and the Sex Pistols both recorded there.
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

So macaris is closed on a Monday, glad my wife made me check prior to jumping off the train . Went to the stores in Brighton, the dude at mudpie music was friendly.
All had pretty cool gear but kinda expensive.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

^ Hope you're having fun regardless!