Page Fuzz

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

kb892

Re: Page Fuzz

Post by kb892 »

Sickle wrote:Yep. Obviously there's way more knowledgeable minds here on this subject than mine, but it seems there was 3 forks in the FZ1 road:

FZ-1

FZ-1A(B) - Mayer variant - Hurst variant
plus the Hornby Skewes (Zonk Machine) variant and maybe WEM (pep fuzz) variant?

thanks for the tip on the back button BTW.
Poorbob

Post by Poorbob »

There is a Page fuzz that Mayer discontinued that I own, but it's not all that great. I honestly think that Mayer might have forgotten what made that pedal special or even what the circuit was. That makes the few remaining examples that much more important to figure out.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

I have owned and sold most of Roger's fuzz pedals. The only one I have kept over the last 15 years is his Classic Fuzz. It is definitely in the vintage vibe ballpark, but is also a bit tricky to use. For one, it really only sounds good with single coil guitars. Two, there is a sweet spot on it about 3/4 of the way turned up.(drive, not volume) Three, the amp makes all the difference. I am not sure why, but it sounds great through my Marshall and not so great through other amps, like Fender, etc. My pedal is from 15 years ago or so. Maybe he is using cheaper parts now, but I like the sound of this fuzz, given its limitations. It also cleans up nicely when you back off the guitar volume a bit.

Donovan, sorry to hear that you don't like the vision octavia pedal. What did you think of the voodoo vibe jr.?
G.
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

What is the pedal , and is the aforementioned builder willing to make another for yours truly? Univibe effect is my fave effect of all time. Wish I had the bux to buy that guys space echo over in another thread...being broke sux..
G.
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

Sickle wrote:Question is, how did Mayer customize a Fuzz face for Jimmy when the Tone bender hadn't been invented yet? My understanding is a Fuzz Face is a crappy Tone Bender clone..

:hmm:

All these fuckers hail from the FZ-1, tho.

That was for Jimi, not Jimmy...talking about his earliest recordings (Jimi)
I'm assuming he's referring to the earliest Experience sessions, that would've been late '66
...and we know that the Italian Vox Tone Bender and Arbiter Fuzz Face were already out by then,
so that must've been the time Mayer did a customized Fuzz Face type pedal for Jimi.

It would make sense that a Mayer custom pedal from '64 would be based on the Maestro FZ-1...

Though Page was mistaken in that interview when he said the Ventures 2,000 LB. Bee was a "fuzztone" (that is, if he meant a Maestro)...'cause it was an early Ge FUZZrite on that recording.....same with The Ventures' (Swinging) Creeper and also Hornet's Nest while Jimi was with Curtis Knight in '65.....
Last edited by psycho*daisies on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
JP30

Post by JP30 »

Earlier ZEP recording FUZZ sounds little brighter and more open than Tonebender type of fuzz, to me. It makes more sense to me if it was FZ variation.

whatever Mayer did, it must have been something like

PAGE Fuzz = (Tonebender+Fuzzface/2) X FZ . . . :hmm: (1965 ??)

this suff is way too heavy for my brain. :headpop:
psycho*daisies

Post by psycho*daisies »

I thought Zep I featured the Tele thru a Sola Sound MKII (only a few select tracks)
into a Supro 1624, am i wrong?

Stuff like Communication Breakdown (rhythm) sounds like Tele straight into Supro...yeah?

I'd say to discuss the possibility of a custom Mayer pedal from '64,
we oughta analyze some sessions Pagey did c.64-66....

Who's got one of those James Patrick Page Session comps?

One i can think of that definitely features fuzz is Circles by Fleur de Lis...
If you struggle baby,
It only tightens up...
JP30

Post by JP30 »

At one point, I almost thought that I was hearing Rangemaster + Telle into Driven amp. :oops: :hmm:
Cado

Post by Cado »

psycho*daisies wrote:I thought Zep I featured the Tele thru a Sola Sound MKII (only a few select tracks)
into a Supro 1624, am i wrong?

Stuff like Communication Breakdown (rhythm) sounds like Tele straight into Supro...yeah?

I'd say to discuss the possibility of a custom Mayer pedal from '64,
we oughta analyze some sessions Pagey did c.64-66....

Who's got one of those James Patrick Page Session comps?

One i can think of that definitely features fuzz is Circles by Fleur de Lis...
I think you're right.
Here's a link for Circles, please restict comments to lead guitar only. :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIJamHAYr_U
Mr. Min T. Fresh

Post by Mr. Min T. Fresh »

Sickle wrote:The pedal is a custom build. I've carefully plotted the complex effect from beginning to end and its going to be one of a kind if I have my say about it, but there's dozens of builders out there willing to build you one of your own; just throw it out there and see who's interested!

Have you seen Fulltone's new Univibe wah?

http://www.fulltone.com/mdv2.asp

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
I owned one of the old deja vibe pedals and have to say it was not impressive at all. If you are looking for a nice vibe pedal then the prescription vibe, mojo vibe, or the aquavibe is the way to go
I have a big dick and I challenge you to swallow it or fight me strait up.