R & G 1966 1 oh 1

The Italian two-transistor king of the bee's.

Moderator: The Captain

imlikeajungle

Re: R & G 1966 1 oh 1

Post by imlikeajungle »

I'm so bummed I did not get on the list nor got lucky in the BINs: these are absolutely marvellous!
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

this looks like great fun Sickle!
I can't wait for my red 1966 to hit my doorstep and finally try a tonebender and the superersuper bee! :D
Yeah when you got manage to compare them that should be hella fun!
Live Slow... Die old...
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

molokaio wrote: finally try a tonebender and the superersuper bee! :D
What a tonebender to try first! You are in for a treat. :listening:
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

ehehe! Thanks jimi! Really can't wait! A friend told me it's basically a mk1.5... but that almost means nothing to me. I'm trying to build myself some culture surfing the forum and the net... we'll see! :D
Live Slow... Die old...
Philip

Post by Philip »

They are kinda similar though Sickle, hence the ''it's basically a MK1.5'' thing from his friend.

I think the general feeling is that the Italian Vox(1966) and Germanium Fuzz Face are essentially cheaper more mass produced ripp offs of the MK1.5 Tone Bender.
Braden

Post by Braden »

Also from the Tone Bender history page:
In early 1966 the Tone Bender received its first major changes; the folded steel case was replaced with a sleeker more futuristic looking sand cast aluminium design finished in a grey Hammerite paint. It featured a newly designed two transistor circuit that used two Mullard OC75 devices. The name Sola Sound again did not appear on the case and the silk screening just stated the unit as a Tone Bender. This particular two transistor circuit is said to have been leaked/loaned to Arbiter who went on to release the legendary Fuzz Face later that very same year. This is also the circuit type that was used by Vox in their Italian production, again of the same year, for the Vox Tone Bender.
Robapov

Re: B & G 1966 1 oh 1

Post by Robapov »

Sickle wrote:Not sure, but if David were looking for feedback on it, I would have to say the new mod is a huge success! It feels to me like the pedal nearly doubles in output, not just in frequency, but also amplitude as well. Interestingly, you can hear a very clean separation on the highs and lows with the Superbee mode, I wanna say its almost like a scooped mids thing, but its not, its way to clean sounding, but hard to describe. It kinda reminds me of the FZ-1B a little with some of its Blend control dialed back.

The Superbee mode is gonna make rhythm guitarists wet themselves.

The 1966 pedal for me is one of the nicest sounding musical fuzzes I've ever heard, its not compressed, pushes through really nicely in a mix without needing surgical EQ, and has enough fuzz on tap to rival the MK II to a good degree. For anyone out of sorts over David closing down production of the MK II's, I would STRONGLY suggest you consider grabbing one of the 1966's new or old, when and where you could.
These are the words I was searching for! Exactly my thoughts
L O V E
molokaio

Post by molokaio »

dude... totally right! the super bee just got me playing in exstacy! the 66' mode kinda cuts away all the low/low-mid freqs and it's ok, less volume, really particular sounding.
Well.. when you turn that thing onto superBee.. baaaam! huge leap in output, super ballsy low end... and there you go riffing heavy! love it... probably my best buy so far in the gain department. because I simply didnt expect it to sound like this... and this sound was the one i couldnt manage to get out of the other fuzzes i have.

insane.. really insane.
Live Slow... Die old...
kb892

Post by kb892 »

missing? :errr:
kb892

Post by kb892 »

holy shit, was it in transit?