Fuzz Face Wah Wah mismatch fix

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

HydrozeenElectronics

Re: Fuzz Face Wah Wah mismatch fix

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

Well I dug through a bunch of schematics for Roger Mayer's pedals. I found a buffer circuit he used and then worked with parts I had on hand. It worked really good.

Basicly it is a 2n3904 transistor with a voltage divider to control the amount of impedance. You need about 500k to get the wah effect back and then you can add to it until you get the desired sound you are after.

I think this is how Mayer tweeked Jimi's pedals because it is just dead on Jimi tone.
The only thing I'm not sure about is whether Mayer built it into the fuzz face so it would be on all the time or into the wah and had it were it would switch on with the wah. I'm leaning towards him putting it in the Fuzz Because it makes the Fuzz Face just a little smoother and creamier like Hendrix's "Axis Bold As Love" sound.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

You can borrow my RM Classic Fuzz if you think it would help you solve this. I sold my Axis Fuzz a while back.. sorry...
Geoff
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

Yo

I thought I read somewhere that Hendrix placed his Univibe between his wah and his fuzz. The unvibe has no bypass. Just a "cancel" switch that stops the LFO so the guitar signal still passes through all the Univibes circuitry. Would act as a buffer in that situation.

--Brad
Sauniere

Post by Sauniere »

Creepyfingers wrote:Yo

I thought I read somewhere that Hendrix placed his Univibe between his wah and his fuzz. The unvibe has no bypass. Just a "cancel" switch that stops the LFO so the guitar signal still passes through all the Univibes circuitry. Would act as a buffer in that situation.

--Brad
There was a thread at another forum that theorized that the Univibe did exactly that. Unfortunately, no one had an original Univibe to test the theory out.
HydrozeenElectronics

Creepyfingers wrote:Yo

--Brad

That could be. I still think Roger made him some kind of a buffer though, because when I use my buffer in front of my Rotovibe it nails Jimi's "woodstock" univibe tone. With out it it's not quite it. But a Rotovibe is not a Univibe so there is no way to be sure.
fuzzer

Post by fuzzer »

I don't think Roger Mayer ever made a special buffer for Hendrix, otherwise, the guy would be capitalizing on it nowadays.

My opinion is that what we hear as the great fuzzed wah from Hendrix is the mixture of Fuzz-->Wah-->Motherfuckingloud and overdriven Amp.

However, I encourage and invite you to check out this link;

http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php ... 772#p46772

There is a cool thing for fellow Tinkerers.
HydrozeenElectronics

fuzzer wrote:I don't think Roger Mayer ever made a special buffer for Hendrix, otherwise, the guy would be capitalizing on it nowadays.

My opinion is that what we hear as the great fuzzed wah from Hendrix is the mixture of Fuzz-->Wah-->Motherfuckingloud and overdriven Amp.

It requires you to be a member to view the thread. I have tried to sign up a few times but they never get back to me with a conformation :doh:
Creepyfingers

Post by Creepyfingers »

fuzzer wrote:I don't think Roger Mayer ever made a special buffer for Hendrix, otherwise, the guy would be capitalizing on it nowadays.

HA

I was just checking out this thread again and that thought occurred to me too. If Roger Mayer had done a buffer for Hendrix we'd have heard from him. I saw this pic: http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg
which looks like he's going wah/octavio/fuzz face/univibe. They might not be patched that way. I would think that would make the situation even worse but who knows. It still remains a mystery. I'm not totally sold on the univibe theory since it would still be constantly feeding the FF a buffered signal YUCK.

--Brad
noelgrassy

Post by noelgrassy »

[quote=

There is a cool thing for fellow Tinkerers.[/quote]

It requires you to be a member to view the thread. I have tried to sign up a few times but they never get back to me with a conformation :doh:[/quote]

HydrozeenElectronics, If you'd like I'll PM the mod over at FSB and indicate your difficulty signing up. If you enjoy putzing around in your FX boxes or are a serious EE type you owe it to yourself to have access to the veritable shitload of confirmed working schemadix and layouts. Many of the boutique world (who I admire at least) are contributors to the threads or at least make informed observations. Oddly, the commercial builders who "goop" do not have anything positive to contribute and are never heard from again. :catfight: Places like TGP & DIY Stompboxes have the very mention of the joint in a post excised with dedicated software. The only niggle is a member must contribute. Be it photos, their own RE pedals, etc..

PM me if you'd like,

Noel Grassy.
Attachments
FSB logo.jpg
FSB logo.jpg (7.18 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
“Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, and those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied by drink.” Mark TwGL
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Let me add a bit here... If you look at enough Hendrix pictures it becomes clear that he didn't always have pedals in the same order.. Sigh.... Also in regards to the univibe thing...The unvibe has no bypass. Just a "cancel" switch that stops the LFO so the guitar signal still passes through all the Univibes circuitry. Would act as a buffer in that situation.
So, I believe that at least some times he was using it for that reason... I also don't believe that Roger Mayer made a buffer for Jimi's pedals. You can bet that he'd be marketing them!! I actually have a fond place in my heart for his fuzz pedals. I still have one left. I sold all the rest to upgrade to DAM and Creepyfingers pedals...
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?