Valve Klipper distortion preamp (Laney Klipp in a box)

Up and coming builder? Sell your creations here...

Moderator: The Captain

Cado

Re: Valve Klipper distortion preamp (Laney Klipp in a box)

Post by Cado »

Sounds great Fausto. Put me on the list for one. :cheers:
faustone

Post by faustone »

Sage wrote:Thanks for the clips. It seems the unit in these videos have an additional switch in the upper right corner... what's it for? I don't remember it being on the original photo posted at the beginning of this thread.
The additional switch is part of the prototyping process. It's the same unit, I've only built one so far, but this one has seen lots of circuit changes! :hihi: I wire different configurations just to be able to compare them. The extra switch was for the first gain stage configuration (laney/plexi) and many other things I wanted to experiment in the last few days. The switch is there but it isn't wired on this unit though, you're hearing the plexi version only.

The definitive controls will be:

Two pots: Volume + Klipp
Two switches: Clean/Klipp + Top. The top switch is just a bright switch, just like the ones in Fender amps. Its purpose is adding treble when the volume is low. It has no effect when volume is maxed.

I also put a LED on the prototype, and I need to decide if I include them in the production units. The status LED is a compromise in a pedal like this and there's good reasons for that:

The 6V supply I'd need to power the LED is elevated more than 70V over ground, to keep hum to a minimum. It means that if for some reason the switch shorts: wet floor or barefoot player + high voltage on switch = :choke:. The unit is fused but I'd rather keep those voltages away from the footswitch. At the moment, the only voltages present on the switches are safe signal voltages... and I think it will stay like that.
Last edited by faustone on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faustone

Post by faustone »

Cado wrote:Sounds great Fausto. Put me on the list for one. :cheers:
You got it. Thanks!
NewarkWilder

Post by NewarkWilder »

freaking awesome. i'm going to be adding a dirty channel to my super reverb it appears. (ok, another one, after the sonic titan)

:metal:
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

welshchris wrote:Like I say I'll be interested to hear some clips, I'll keep my eyes on this thread, you never know... still it does look fab so may find myself asking to get added somewhere down the list to give me a chance to save up some cash..
Ditto.
faustone

Post by faustone »

List update:

#01: Sickle
#02: The Captain
#03: pigeontoe
#04: NewarkWilder
#05: Robapov
#06: fatherjack
#07: TheWarmth
#08: dirty finger
#09: i love sharin foo
#10: Sage
#11: Cado
#12: jimi_dylan
#13: RC2

I'm finishing the second prototype box in a couple of days, I think I'll be able to post it on Friday for its first US tour :freakout:

Thanks guys!
dirty finger

Post by dirty finger »

That looks and sounds incredible Fausto.
Can't wait.
:hyper:
Last edited by dirty finger on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Wow! :badlove: I did not see those clips before!! This thing sounds incredible...+1 on the really excited :hyper:

If the LED comes down to an option I'll go without. LED's are for pussy's :hihi:
grygrx

Post by grygrx »

Add me to the list. Between the clips and the build I can't resist.
faustone

Post by faustone »

The 2nd prototype is on its way to Columbus, Georgia. It should arrive early next week.

I would like Sickle to keep the unit after it goes on tour, it was built for him and he should own it. Don't bogart that joint my friend! :bong3:

If the "tour" happens to stop in the UK, make sure it reaches David, I'd love to hear his opinions/suggestions.

Alea jacta est :paranoid:

Fausto