Fuzz wah swell issue

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

adywilkinson1984

Fuzz wah swell issue

Post by adywilkinson1984 »

hey everyone, what a day, not only has the PA120 seemingly blown 3 valves (hopefully) im having an issue with my coloursound fuzz wah swell pedal, it just doesnt quite seem loud enough!! before it went rediculously quiet we were playing through the PA120 with jem today and i have to crank my channel to the max to keep up with her!! its droppin the output by at least 50% on my channel :| any help on this issue would be awesomeeee

hope all is well in your fuzzy worlds

adrian.
Creepyfingers

Re: Fuzz wah swell issue

Post by Creepyfingers »

Put in a new battery. A volume drop can be an obscure problem. Open it up and look for anything obvious like loose wires.
adywilkinson1984

thanks, i changed the battery and theres no loose wires, but a lot of grey solder points.. the bottom of the wah circuits pretty grotty too so i imagine the fuzz circuits in a similar condition.. aboo..

also on these, is the swell supposed to work like a volume pedal? it only swells very slightly.. could this be contributing to my drop in output too??
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

The swell doesn't give a full volume sweep. It depends how the pot it adjusted, which annoyingly will change the sweep of the wah too. The fuzz on a Fuzz Wah Swell will have a drop in volume even when it's working properly.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
joegagan

Post by joegagan »

i have not had any of the colorsound types in my hands, but every potentiometer based wah /volume i have seen that shares the pot with the wah has issues with the volume pedal function. like jim said, when the wah is adjusted correctly the volume does not go to full zero. some are worse than others.

i have a project on my bench right now to try and solve this, using two pots carefully arranged, sharing a gear to solve this problem. (wah portion loosely based on a vox clyde)
"Scuze me while I rip the sky....."--DucRyder
adywilkinson1984

ah so there may not be much i can do about the volume drop :(

ive uploaded some gutshots of it cos it seems like it has 2 pots for the wah/swell side of it.. or maybe im being dumb iunno..

i forgot to mention its a 3 potter, dunno if it makes any difference.. cheers for all the help so far guys! :)
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

Yeah the dual gang pot - 1 for wah, 1 for swell. When adjusted properly for the wah you won't be getting the full volume sweep.

Might be worth getting the pedal checked over by a pro. It looks a bit corroded in there.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
adywilkinson1984

cheers jim, im not too fussed about the swell in that case cos i absolutly love the wah! any suggestions on who would be good to send this to? i plan on usin this for the next 40 years so i want it to be in tip top nick really :)
Laundromat

Post by Laundromat »

I would send it to Stu.
Condolences, the bums lost!
peps1

Post by peps1 »

You can also replace the 220K with a jumper for a volume bost