Tone Bender Tricks?

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

HydrozeenElectronics

Tone Bender Tricks?

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

I love this site for having the most authentic information on the Tone Bender but what I was wondering. Who has built a Tone Bender with Less than Authentic Parts and got good results? or who knows some tricks for making more modern parts(tranys) sound good?

Not to be a moocher I'll go first. I have found that "piggy backing" transistors for lower gain can make a big difference. It takes away the shrill buzz on the top end that is associated with moderin si tranys.

Thanks
imlikeajungle

Re: Tone Bender Tricks?

Post by imlikeajungle »

I built the MK1 from Dave's schematic with a couple of the readily-available-non-Mullard OC75s. I've never heard a real MK1 or a clone, so I guess I can't compare but here goes... I used very 'normal' parts (just the plain Rs & Cs you'd get from any electronics shop).

1. I have a lot of hissss. Noisy pedal.
2. I'm lacking mids, which is okay to play by myself, but not really in a band situation.
3. The controls don't give me many useable sounds...
4. I don't have a LOT of volume on tap. With attack under half, it's just too quiet.

It has a nice feel & touch to it, but definitely not half as useful in most situations as the Buzzaround I built...
Fuhgawz

Post by Fuhgawz »

The Fuzz Central article about the Axis Face Silicon gives some tips about capacitor changes to smooth out some of the highs of that circuit. This will probably also work on variations of the Tone Bender, since both circuits are similar in design.
Also, there are low gain silicon transistors available, like the 2N3440 or the 2N2369. Try them. Good luck!!
Electric Warrior

Post by Electric Warrior »

Q1 needs to be leaky to bias correctly..
Everything is transitional.
HydrozeenElectronics

Electric Warrior wrote:Q1 needs to be leaky to bias correctly..

any ways of simulating that?
Electric Warrior

why don't you buy some OC75s on ebay? they aren't too expensive...
HydrozeenElectronics

Electric Warrior wrote:why don't you buy some OC75s on ebay? they aren't too expensive...

I could, I just think that it's a fun challenge and that one day NOS transistors will be so expensive we might as well learn now how to live with out them.
elOL

Post by elOL »

hi everybody!
i've also tried to build up a MKII with kinda "old looking" parts like Electric Warrior's Clone Bender (THANKS for your layouts btw :tu:). the overall sound is really amazing, though there's a notable lack of output volume - fully cranked it's just on par with the bypassed signal :squint:

are there any recommendations for solving that problem that won't alter the tone? sadly i haven't got the chance to try or even snatch one of the captains MKII's, so no comparison on that issue...
Electric Warrior

lack of output volume? mine's really loud... :hmm:
elOL

Post by elOL »

really?!? argh... gotta check the circuit again, then...

i just wasn't sure if this was normal for the circuit. my maestro fz-1a is not earpiercing either.