Finishing my first pedal

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

anolanbfg

Finishing my first pedal

Post by anolanbfg »

Hi guys

This is my first post here and I'm already a very happy Dragonfly owner. Recently I've been attempting to build a Ger PNP fuzz face pedal and I have a couple of questions for you if that's ok?

The biggest problem I had was finishing the case. It took 3 attempts and major amounts of head slapping/swearing/nervous breakdowns to just get it the way it is. I used Hammerite spray and whilst the finish is touch dry essentially it's still a little soft. I did sand the metal case down but I didn't use primer- would this be why perhaps? Are these things baked in an oven to harden the finish?

Secondly- I used laser printer waterslide transfers which worked pretty well......until.....

I used Plasticoat clear coat spray over the top and the whole paint job and decal dissolved like acid. Obviously some sort of chemical reaction- can anyone offer some insight and suggest the best stuff to use? Because it isn't that stuff.

On another note, one nice thing about building my own pedal is realising how well my DAM pedal is made, just fantastic attention to detail and those boards are so neat :)

thanks
dazed and confused

Re: Finishing my first pedal

Post by dazed and confused »

Welcome to D*A*M!

Hammerite tends to be a little soft. I believe that you can harden it in a low oven, with great care! I don't bother. I try to use a fairly thin coat and let it go off for as long as possible (one week or more).
I have used Hammerite's own special metals primer and used it direct to the enclosures with similar results.

You do need to be careful with the Plasticote. It can destroy the hammerite coating if you spray it on too heavily.
Try thinner passes and allow to dry between coats.

Yep! Dave's attention to detail is second to none in my opinion.

BTW its Drag'n'Fly! :badteeth:
pedalenclosures

Post by pedalenclosures »

baking will help, go to a thrift store and pick up a toaster oven and give that a try!
m.

(oh, do this outside, it'll smell a bit!)
anolanbfg

Post by anolanbfg »

thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, a little surprised with the hammerite considering it's normal uses, thought it would be made of sterner stuff.

I'll be pretty nervous touching a case again with plastikote clear cote, such a pain to clean up if it goes wrong but I'll give it a go with a thinner coat and see how it goes. Fingers crossed!

sorry Drag'n'fly :)