Vox Repeat Percussion

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

vls

Vox Repeat Percussion

Post by vls »

I have this old Vox Repeat percussion, Vox V809, this thing sounds amazing, but mine always had a problem, even when you are not toutching the strings, no sound at all not even noise, volume full down on the guitar, you still ear the effect cicle, if you turn the rate knob i can ear perfectly the cycle going faster and slower. If you are playing a fast song this is not a big prolem, if you are playing slow, just a few notes it is a big problem since you ear the effect when you are supposed to ear silence. Well when i bought mine a couple of wires connecting to the board were broken, i think i connected them back right, but because of this problem i always have this thing going on... "the effect really works like this? or i connected the wires at the wrong place?".
If someone has one please check my pics and let me know if everything is ok, in terms of wiring. Or take a picture of yours and upload it. Thanks!

DiscoFreq

Re: Vox Repeat Percussion

Post by DiscoFreq »

I have 2 of these, I'll have a look this evening. If I didn't reply by tomorrow, please remind me :D
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
26000 pedals, 4000 brands
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

That looks correct...

I noticed a very small difference between my repeaters: the NOS one looks like yours, the other one has the board number only once (only in copper, not the line above in brown).

Are your wires connected like this:

thick red wire (connected to the switch near the blue one) to tip of jack
blue wire to tip of jack socket (upper side of jack when you open it)
thin red wire to battery
yellow wire to corner of jack socket (connected to the ring) and from that same location there's a green wire to the sleeve of the jack
The black battery wire is connected to the 3rd contact on the jack socket (when you put a jack in it this contact touches the sleeve of the jack so there's a connection with the ring)

This is probably all correct on your repeater, so the problem will be something else...

If you need pictures I can try, but it's difficult with those short wires to make a clear picture :)
vls

Post by vls »

Ok, finally got some time to check this.
I followed all your items and it seems that is ok. But when i bought mine the cables that were broke were not on the jacks. It was on the board. All the others seem intact to me. So my doubts are exclusive were those cables go into the board, the yellow, the two reds and the blue.
Can you take a picture of your board? Doesn't need to be a great picture!
Remember the problem is: I can ear very clear the effect cycle when i am not playing, and is a reaaly present thing, not just some background cycle noise. Can it be a capacitor that is dead or something like that?
The two repeaters you have... they have this problem too?
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

The wires on the board are correct, I'm sure about that, I compared your pictures with my effects, but I'll try to make a picture.

I thought there was no guitar sound coming through, only the noise of the "attacks", I think it's normal that you hear it even when you're not playing... That's the charm/curse of vintage technology ;)

vls wrote:Ok, finally got some time to check this.
I followed all your items and it seems that is ok. But when i bought mine the cables that were broke were not on the jacks. It was on the board. All the others seem intact to me. So my doubts are exclusive were those cables go into the board, the yellow, the two reds and the blue.
Can you take a picture of your board? Doesn't need to be a great picture!
Remember the problem is: I can ear very clear the effect cycle when i am not playing, and is a reaaly present thing, not just some background cycle noise. Can it be a capacitor that is dead or something like that?
The two repeaters you have... they have this problem too?
DiscoFreq

Post by DiscoFreq »

vox_repeatpercussion_inside1.jpg
vox_repeatpercussion_inside1.jpg (143.99 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
vox_repeatpercussion_inside2.jpg
vox_repeatpercussion_inside2.jpg (155.89 KiB) Viewed 4350 times