Sola Sound Wow Fuzz veroboard

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

HorseyBoy

Re: Sola Sound Wow Fuzz veroboard

Post by HorseyBoy »

How long were those enclosures used for, Nick? I have a Vox-branded Colorsound wah (no fuzz) in the same enclosure. Always assumed it was mid- to late-70s.
Nick
The Artist Formerly Known As nightraven

Post by Nick »

HorseyBoy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:02 pm How long were those enclosures used for, Nick? I have a Vox-branded Colorsound wah (no fuzz) in the same enclosure. Always assumed it was mid- to late-70s.
A loooooong time. It looks like when Sola Sound designed those smaller, flatter pressed steel cases for the Colorsound pedals, they retained this 'MKIII' style for (most of) the ones they built for Vox. That's why we see Vox Tone Bender MKIII's alongside Sola MKIV's, and why there are Vox Wow etc pedals alongside Colorsound Wahs well into the 1970s.
HorseyBoy

Post by HorseyBoy »

Nick wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:19 pm A loooooong time. It looks like when Sola Sound designed those smaller, flatter pressed steel cases for the Colorsound pedals, they retained this 'MKIII' style for (most of) the ones they built for Vox. That's why we see Vox Tone Bender MKIII's alongside Sola MKIV's, and why there are Vox Wow etc pedals alongside Colorsound Wahs well into the 1970s.
Ta, Nick. Have to say, I much prefer these sturdier cases and treadles to the pressed steel cases of the Colorsound wahs. I've never been able to pry open one of those things without mangling something.
walkingtiger

Post by walkingtiger »

HorseyBoy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:24 am
Nick wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:19 pm A loooooong time. It looks like when Sola Sound designed those smaller, flatter pressed steel cases for the Colorsound pedals, they retained this 'MKIII' style for (most of) the ones they built for Vox. That's why we see Vox Tone Bender MKIII's alongside Sola MKIV's, and why there are Vox Wow etc pedals alongside Colorsound Wahs well into the 1970s.
Ta, Nick. Have to say, I much prefer these sturdier cases and treadles to the pressed steel cases of the Colorsound wahs. I've never been able to pry open one of those things without mangling something.

If you tape off the end of a butter knife it helps limit any paint chipping when prying!