Are these NKT275s red dot real or fakes?

Schematics, layouts & other technical mumbo jumbo.

Moderator: The Captain

atodovax

Re: Are these NKT275s red dot real or fakes?

Post by atodovax »

Thanks everyone.. Im aware these are not the same that we see on Arbiter England FFs. But still i was wondering if maybe these are more recent (maybe 70s) real Newmarket NKT275s... I have quite a large colection of NKT`s (most of them from Langrex) and many have the exact same font as the ones in the pictures... how would someone know?
atodovax

Post by atodovax »

Doc Holliday wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:49 pm I’ve heard from a source who has bought them from Langrex that his were not real NKT275.
They they had been rebranded.
They tested and sounded good but we’re not the genuine 275 article.
Like you see sometimes with OC83’s.. I think mine were originally 81z’s or something that got rebranded to OC83’s.
Think Steve from pigdog had rebranded transistors in his monkey fingers also iirc.
Hi Doc. Do you know how did he realized they were fake? At langrex they told me these should be from late 60s / early 70s
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yeah not fake as stated just relabled.
At some point another labels been rubbed off and 275 stamped on.
Like Simon says if they were relabled at the factory then they should test 275 spec hence the relable.
It’s just knowing whether they were re-labelled at the factory I guess.
When transistors start hitting the £100 each mark you want to be sure don’t you.
NKT275’s are as rare as hens teeth these days and there’s alot of fakes and tampering going on in the vintage instrument business in general.
It’s playing it safe I guess.
Still if you trust your source & they’ve purchased them from a reputable source then congrats
simonm

Post by simonm »

if they go for £100 that could be £95 profit to the unscrupulous, so the incentive is definitely there!
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
atodovax

Post by atodovax »

Doc Holliday wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:32 pm Yeah not fake as stated just relabled.
At some point another labels been rubbed off and 275 stamped on.
Like Simon says if they were relabled at the factory then they should test 275 spec hence the relable.
It’s just knowing whether they were re-labelled at the factory I guess.
When transistors start hitting the £100 each mark you want to be sure don’t you.
NKT275’s are as rare as hens teeth these days and there’s alot of fakes and tampering going on in the vintage instrument business in general.
It’s playing it safe I guess.
Still if you trust your source & they’ve purchased them from a reputable source then congrats
Thanks Doc. Well i really dont know much about langrex. i though they were an old store from many years ago. Do you know if your friend`s NKTs from Langrex looked the same as these?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Yeah think they’ve been going for around 40 years or so?
I’ve bought valves with no problems.
I’m just repeating what he told me.
I sent him your link and he said he had recently bought some presumably from the same batch.
Like you I believe he was skeptical.
peps1

Post by peps1 »

I'm super skeptical of ANY NKT 275 at this point, and have been for the last 10 years.

Seen too many first-hand with things like old Sanyo and Hitachi transistor markings, that had the same long legs and housing as later Newmarket. I just stay clear of them now personally.

From my personal stash of never to be used fakes:

Last edited by peps1 on Fri May 06, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Beautiful man! Thanks for sharing
simonm

Post by simonm »

for comparison: two fakes from the other thread:

atodovax's Langrex 275s on left plus Brook's fakes

The one on the blue b/g above looks different to the verified fakes, and the same as my 274s - but it could still just be a fake from a different source.

????????

Brook - are there any date codes on your fakes?
Handmade, high-impact, great-looking radical queer germanium fuzz. A different approach to 1960s-inspired fuzz pedals, no clones, check them out at https://goodfuzzysounds.com or on YouTube https://tinyurl.com/GFS-YT
atodovax

Post by atodovax »

simonm wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:05 pm for comparison: two fakes from the other thread:

atodovax's Langrex 275s on left plus Brook's fakes

The one on the blue b/g above looks different to the verified fakes, and the same as my 274s - but it could still just be a fake from a different source.

????????

Brook - are there any date codes on your fakes?
Could mines be from the 70s? I dont know exactly when they stopped producing the 275`s.. I have a huge lot of NKT211s and the font is exactly the same as on these 275 from my pictures. Same size and width