J MASCIS ehx rams head

General discussion, shit shooting, banter and sexual innuendo

Moderator: The Captain

squarewave

Re: J MASCIS ehx rams head

Post by squarewave »

I’ve not tried one of the new muffs, I’ll be interested to see what the tone knob does. The tone control on my op amp muff kind of looks a me and shrugs is shoulders.
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

That was pretty cool. How many signature Muff/Muff style pedals does J. have now, about three?
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
skelt101

Post by skelt101 »

After reading the Reverb ad, I'm curious: Are the internals the same as the "normal" Ram's Head reissue, with only the graphics and colors being different? :hmm:
squarewave

Post by squarewave »

Yeah, just a new paint job.
Insta @drewcifer01 @lavafangs @andrew_sings_solo
Lach

Post by Lach »

1bottlerocket wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:47 am That was pretty cool. How many signature Muff/Muff style pedals does J. have now, about three?
Was thinking that too yesterday! Fuzz Munchkin (Tym), SUF - can't remember the name but there was one, the Garbage Face from Wren and Cuff, September Sound did the mini J, but not sure that was official? And now an EHX paint job. So 4, potentially 5, but just off the top of my head
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Lach wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:08 pm
1bottlerocket wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:47 am That was pretty cool. How many signature Muff/Muff style pedals does J. have now, about three?
Was thinking that too yesterday! Fuzz Munchkin (Tym), SUF - can't remember the name but there was one, the Garbage Face from Wren and Cuff, September Sound did the mini J, but not sure that was official? And now an EHX paint job. So 4, potentially 5, but just off the top of my head
That sounds about right. :hihi:

I got the Tym and the W&C but I would really like to get my hands on a Mini J. I have only seen a handful of those around. The September sounds are really nice.

To date, my favorite violet circuit is the V2 that Stu makes. Dave's also really kills it. I sold a couple of the older Ram's Heads builds that Dave made thinking I could replace them at some point but that stuff is getting out of reach these days. The DP-93 is a solid heavy hitter. I have to spend more time with it but the little I ran it was nuts.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Lach

Post by Lach »

The Tym Violet Big Mudd still takes the cake for me as the best Ram's Head I've tried, I still have a couple of them. Stu's V2 was just about it's equal though. Always founds SUFs a little too squish with my gear. Wren do some nice Muffs, particularly Russians. Loved the September Ram I had some years ago, a big selling regret that one... I really liked Dave's Ram Head but haven't been so keen on the DP version, really middy, although I haven't tried any of the later versions. Have owned 4 or 5 originals along the way too with varying results. The Ram's Head hole runs deep!
devnulljp

Post by devnulljp »

1bottlerocket wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:59 pmDave's also really kills it. I sold a couple of the older Ram's Heads builds that Dave made thinking I could replace them at some point but that stuff is getting out of reach these days.
The only muff I still have these days is a 2006 DAM Ram's Head.
Dear Bongo, No.
Good deals with all these guys
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Lach wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:33 pm The Tym Violet Big Mudd still takes the cake for me as the best Ram's Head I've tried, I still have a couple of them. Stu's V2 was just about it's equal though. Always founds SUFs a little too squish with my gear. Wren do some nice Muffs, particularly Russians. Loved the September Ram I had some years ago, a big selling regret that one... I really liked Dave's Ram Head but haven't been so keen on the DP version, really middy, although I haven't tried any of the later versions. Have owned 4 or 5 originals along the way too with varying results. The Ram's Head hole runs deep!
I completely agree with you on the SUF, I like the tone but I find them in a different camp and not enough oomph. I have never run the Tym violet and the V2 net to each other. I have a few of both and that would be a fun session.

The strong mids is what I like about the DP builds. Tym added a flat mids toggle on a couple of his builds for me at my request, he even called them a TS Signature pedal :hihi: No that my ham-fisted playing warrants such an accolade.

-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Lach

Post by Lach »

1bottlerocket wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:48 pm
The strong mids is what I like about the DP builds. Tym added a flat mids toggle on a couple of his builds for me at my request, he even called them a TS Signature pedal :hihi: No that my ham-fisted playing warrants such an accolade.
Haha wow! Well me too! Here's my "Loxx Sustainar signature VRH" (yeah, right). And ah, yep, I certainly couldn't claim that my thrashing about on the strings could deserve such an accolade either... but I'm so very thankful and blown away that he built it for me! I bought about 50 Muffs before it, and have bought maybe 3 since, it just can't be beat

IMG_20220306_192028_140.jpg
IMG_20220306_192028_140.jpg (302.54 KiB) Viewed 460 times