Chandler Limited - Germanium Preamp/DI

Pics, info, thoughts on old and/or hairy gear.

Moderator: The Captain

jimi_dylan

Re: Chandler Limited - Germanium Preamp/DI

Post by jimi_dylan »

Wow. Thanks, Sickle. I followed the link. All three units in their Germanium series got me lusting, especially the EQ. Could you imaging EQing a D.A.M. fuzz with that??!!! :shocked2:
SBlue

Post by SBlue »

Sickle wrote:Fuck yeah!

:party:

The compressor in this series would be of limited use for guitar players, though. I'd really like to see what could be achieved with the preamp/EQ combination, or even just the EQ, as that seems to be the better buy between the two.

That feedback control sounds seriously interesting. I've seen that applied in a few novel ways like this guy who's building that into a guitar. Very cool stuff.
I've got the Germanium Preamp/DI.
I've been using it mostly with electric guitars, acoustics and bass. It's one o the best preamp out there, IMHO. I do have a pair of vintage Neve 1073s, and I like the Germanium as much on guitars. They don't sound alike at all, but they're both great the applications I use them for. I still want to get another Germanium Preamp for a pair, and then later on get the EQ and Compressor.
Another excellent choice for recoding electric guitars is the TG2. It has some punch and in your face sound that makes overdriven or distorted guitars jump out of the tracks. Very cool.
I think Chandler is making great products, and so far their customer service gave me nothing but peace of mind. Besides that, Wade, is an amazing person and he put passion and integrity on all of his products.
I've been using and abusing them... and happy ever since.
SBlue
jimi_dylan

Post by jimi_dylan »

I admire your taste SBlue! ;) I ask a question similar to Sickle: How does the Chandler Ge Preamp/DI enhance (if at all) the already superb tones of Dave's fuzzboxes?
SBlue

Post by SBlue »

Thanks Sickle and jimi_dylan...
Part of the answer to your question would be here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=828435
The song Metaphora has the Germanium and the Neve preamps, between the mics and the Digi002, on all the guitars+bass+acoustics all the time, and they're about 50/50. So, half of what you're hearing is the Germanium.
On the other song, which was just called Fuzz Feast at the time, you're only hearing the Germanium, since I didn't have the Neve. It's a different day, different mood, etc... same guitar, amp, pedal(the 1966) on the fuzzy track.
I still want to do a comparison between both preamps, same mics, going through the different pres, same position in front of the speakers, and a single take for both channels recorded. Then listening back would give a better idea on how they compare.
So far, to record fuzzy and distorted guitars, they are great.
Last edited by SBlue on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
cubba

Post by cubba »

Can you please repost the link, some of it got clipped off your post.

Thanks!

SBlue wrote:Thanks Sickle and jimi_dylan...
The song Metaphora has the Germanium and the Neve preamps, between the mics and the Digi002, on all the guitars+bass+acoustics all the time, and they're about 50/50. So, half of what you're hearing is the Germanium.
On the other song, which was just called Fuzz Feast at the time, you're only hearing the Germanium, since I didn't have the Neve. It's a different day, different mood, etc... same guitar, amp, pedal(the 1966) on the fuzzy track.
I still want to do a comparison between both preamps, same mics, going through the different pres, same position in front of the speakers, and a single take for both channels recorded. Then listening back would give a better idea on how they compare.
What gets me is all the tweaking,
just crank that bitch and be done with it! -- duende
cubba

Post by cubba »

Thx Sickle for posting about these.
I've had mega-wood for the Chandler units ever since I first heard about them.
These are modern classics for sure.
Unfortunately outta' my budget right now.
SBlue

Post by SBlue »

Tahnsk for the heads up cubba... got it fixed.
SBlue
cubba wrote:Can you please repost the link, some of it got clipped off your post.

Thanks!

cubba

Post by cubba »

No worries brother,
only thing is the link is not complete.
Try and click on your link below.
I think you need to re-paste the link.

Unless it's just me.....

:bangs head:
SBlue wrote:Tahnsk for the heads up cubba... got it fixed.
SBlue
cubba wrote:Can you please repost the link, some of it got clipped off your post.

Thanks!

mrpicard

Post by mrpicard »

SBlue wrote:Wade, is an amazing person
I second that! I have the Germanium pre-amp alongside the EMI TG Channel and the EMI TG1 Limiter, all very good. However, I have to say that they are excellent but not as good as a EMI REDD.47 Line Amp replica I have. That is Abbey Road in the '60s in a box...

1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

Are those rack units only? I barely have enough space for my stomps :party:
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty