The New Red Rooster: Sans LED & Chicken Head Knobs

Tonal shaping & volume boosting delivered with germanium love.

Moderator: The Captain

Zzufrepus

Re: The New Red Rooster: Sans LED & Chicken Head Knobs

Post by Zzufrepus »

Plexihead wrote:

What would be super (IMO) is if the Rooster was made in the bigger mkI/mkII case with top jacks and the side mounted battery compartment, considering I prefer a battery for powering for wah's, fuzzes & treble boosts.

+1 that would be awesome!!!!
thesjkexperience

Post by thesjkexperience »

Coolhand78 wrote:Is there a significant difference to the tone of the rooster when running it on DC as opposed to batteries... it's always been my firm belief that most pedals (fuzzes) sound better with batteries, but if the Cap't thinks there's no significant difference i might be persuaded to go the DC option to alleviate the pop...
I was doing some A/B testing and found the tone to be thicker with a jack verses the old carbon batteries. Plus the "popping" issue, so, where possible, I am plugging in. It is nit-picking though and without good ears or recording medium the difference makes no difference. There was a bigger difference between tranny types than battery vs AC.
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
Coolhand78

Post by Coolhand78 »

thesjkexperience wrote:
Coolhand78 wrote:Is there a significant difference to the tone of the rooster when running it on DC as opposed to batteries... it's always been my firm belief that most pedals (fuzzes) sound better with batteries, but if the Cap't thinks there's no significant difference i might be persuaded to go the DC option to alleviate the pop...
I was doing some A/B testing and found the tone to be thicker with a jack verses the old carbon batteries. Plus the "popping" issue, so, where possible, I am plugging in. It is nit-picking though and without good ears or recording medium the difference makes no difference. There was a bigger difference between tranny types than battery vs AC.
thanks man, i'm gonna give it a go tonite at rehearsal, any idea on the current draw?
"Yorkshire isn't a place. Yorkshire is a state of mind." ~ Howard Moon
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

minimoog56 wrote:Just go thee nod from Joe at V&M and I paid/will be getting my (second) redrooster in the mail sometime next week just in time for me to disassemble my studio for the big move to Washington DC.
Moving to DC! That sounds like a big change of scenery. I will be out there summer 2010 finishing my Masters.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
CitizenAudio

Post by CitizenAudio »

hmmm looks like you still get that pop sound and need to discharge the capacitors or whatever... then it is all good!

oh well! It sounds so damn good!
raoulmartines

Post by raoulmartines »

CitizenAudio, are you saying you still get a switching pop from a new Red Rooster without led? Are you using an external power supply? If so, this would contradict David Main's explanation. Is the pop less or the same as your led models? I still believe you just need a tiedown resistor on the output ('cause I've tried it and it works) and remain skeptical about some of the Captain's points, but am trying to understand and give him the benefit of the doubt, because of my immense respect for him, his great sounding designs, and inspiring build quality. Can any other new Red Rooster owners report on their pedals lack of/presence of "pop"? Thanks to all.
CitizenAudio

Post by CitizenAudio »

Yo,

The pedal still builds up a charge that dissipates after one stomp. Atleast mine does.
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

raoulmartines wrote:CitizenAudio, are you saying you still get a switching pop from a new Red Rooster without led? Are you using an external power supply? If so, this would contradict David Main's explanation. Is the pop less or the same as your led models? I still believe you just need a tiedown resistor on the output ('cause I've tried it and it works) and remain skeptical about some of the Captain's points, but am trying to understand and give him the benefit of the doubt, because of my immense respect for him, his great sounding designs, and inspiring build quality. Can any other new Red Rooster owners report on their pedals lack of/presence of "pop"? Thanks to all.
To quote my previous contradiction...
The Captain wrote:The new non LED Rooster makes no pop at all, on the engage or disengage of the switch, unless you are running at high volume and have the pedal dialled in for full bass. Then there it still a very subtle click, as you'd hear on any true bypass pedal at such volume levels with a large input cap....regardless of a tie down resistor.
Large capacitors hold charge, that's what they do. The bass side of the Range control uses a large cap. Give it a few clicks of the switch and it goes the fuck away. There is no pop at all on the disengage of the switch, as in, on the output.

Really though, man. Do you not think I would have tried this before? We've been making these things a while now so don't you think it would have crossed my mind.
To satisfy my curiosity and so I can say I have done it of recent I just got my LED Rooster, one of the last made like that, fitted a 4M7 resistor across the output. I hit the switch....and....what do ya know. Its exactly the fucking same! You can pump the switch all day long day in day out and it does not discharge. Ya know why? Cos its the LED!

I am sorry if I am coming over a little bitch and its not that I don't dig your interest in this side of things, cos I really really do. The thing is you are mentioning, in public, something, that if true, could mean a massive recall of almost 300 pedals. If all they needed was a resistor on the output to kill the pop then all those pedals would in essence be deflective....I think you can do the math what that could do to my business? Yes? For one - I'd look a right dick....I don't like to look like a dick. And two, It would massively fuck up our turnover as we'd have to either pay someone to mod these pedals or do it ourselves.

I kinda wonder at this respect you talk of. I guess if I were in your shoes and I really thought I had something to bring to the table I would maybe do it in private, you dig?
Maybe you didn't think about those things...I really do hope that is the case.
thevibe

Post by thevibe »

Any discussion that contains perceived issues should be handled through PM. Either Dave or Sickle, they WILL work with you. Everybody has inquiries and that is understood, but stating "Facts" that counters what any builder has stated requires the courtesy of PMing first.

The goal is simple ..if in doubt PM. Otherwise, you may be considered a "Troll". or more appropriately an :ahole:
Last edited by thevibe on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

Post by Scott »

the captain and the vibe are right. These are THOROUGHLY tested before being shipped out. And you need to PM people first if you have questions cuz when you put that out there, people, naturally, begin to wonder and question what they have.