Which Meathead

For the explorer in the realms of distortion generation.

Moderator: The Captain

Bram

Re: Which Meathead

Post by Bram »

Has anyone tried the dark model with a 4x10?
thesjkexperience

Post by thesjkexperience »

Sickle wrote:
I am Incinerator wrote:I will have to check out the Deluxe after the holidays. How much of the bass of the Dark can the deluxe comp?
There is absolutely no comparison. The Meathead Deluxe has a FILTER control, very different from an actual tone knob, so what you are doing is reducing frequencies from the original Meathead Standard's output. The Dark, on the other hand, has a MUCH bigger output capacitor, so it goes deeper in ways that the Meathead Deluxe simply cannot follow.

The Deluxe is for people who want/need to reign BACK the Meathead Standard, in not only Level, but Fuzz and tone via a high pass filter control. The Dark pushes well past both, deliberately. If you feel a Sandard is too much juice for you, there's literally no point even considering a Dark, but the Deluxe will be able to dial things back to a more 'conventional', controlled fuzz amount.

The Dark and the Deluxe sit on opposing ends of the Standard, in other words.
Thanks Sickle, you reminded me of why I liked my one knob Meathead over the Deluxe.
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

I have four Meatheads: The regular, B&G, Dark and Deluxe. For me, the B&G is where it's at. It is a nice compromise between the regular and the dark. I only have one big combo anymore and the dark definitely only plays nice with that amp. The others send me into tonal nirvana but not the same way the dark does in its fire breathing way.

Although I mostly play smaller combos now, I am still going to hang on to my dark, just in case I get the itch to plug back into a half-stack and shake the earth!
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
thesjkexperience

Post by thesjkexperience »

I was forced to sell my B&G (and my '66) when my Daughter ripped her tooth out :headpop: :headpop: I do wish I had that one back! The sad thing is the guy that bought it from me for a fair price flipped it in a week for $50 more.

What would be killer is to have a mini toggle on a one knob that would go regular, B&G, dark like they do with other brand treble boosters. Though I suspect I could do about the same thing by turning on my Rooster after the Meathead?
Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you a King. -- Bob Dylan

"ripped out of the sky reforming thought into creation electric motion begins" - Linzi
barney steele

Post by barney steele »

I put myself on the deluxe #2 list over a year ago and back then their wasn't a B & G or a dark. When the darks first came out I thought that I really wanted one or a B & G but now a days I find myself tuning to D and playing quicker more intricate riffs so I don't know if either of the two will be the best thing for me. I can shake stuff off of shelves with just my titan so I don't think bass is a problem. I'm sure a deluxe combined with a titan will allow me to create any amount of hell that I want so I don't think I will be disappointed.
JP30

Post by JP30 »

Sickle wrote:The Deluxe is for people who want/need to reign BACK the Meathead Standard, in not only Level, but Fuzz and tone via a high pass filter control.
I am that people ! :cheers:
am I the only one who roll off Fuzz on the meathead ? ? :badteeth:

Sickle wrote:The Dark pushes well past both, deliberately. If you feel a Sandard is too much juice for you, there's literally no point even considering a Dark
I can't wait till i get my DARK !!
If things go well this winter I will be getting a cheap 50W head and a 2x12 cab. :party:
JP30

Post by JP30 »

that Traynor was very nice.. . but I been hoping for 2x12 cab . . .

and 20w-50w head . .
Jim Goad

Post by Jim Goad »

JP30 wrote:
Sickle wrote:The Deluxe is for people who want/need to reign BACK the Meathead Standard, in not only Level, but Fuzz and tone via a high pass filter control.
I am that people ! :cheers:
am I the only one who roll off Fuzz on the meathead ? ? :badteeth:
Nah. I roll the fuzz off a little & usually set the filter at 2 O'clock. It generally then goes in to my Sonic Titan to get boosted to fuck.
It's like an orange on a toothpick
JP30

Post by JP30 »

Jim Goad wrote:Nah. I roll the fuzz off a little & usually set the filter at 2 O'clock. It generally then goes in to my Sonic Titan to get boosted to fuck.
:headpop:
I am Incinerator

Post by I am Incinerator »

I've gone completely mad and given in to my compulsion. I got on the list for a Meat Head Deluxe along with a Super Bee, Drag'n' Fly, and Red Rooster. :dance: :headpop: :freakout: