http://www.furious.com/perfect/jimmypage.html
FOXFIRE

Re: Dazed and Confused

Post by FOXFIRE »

that is one pretty kick ass song...
Cado

Post by Cado »

Yep, Jake Holmes also wrote Be All That You Can Be In The Army & I'm A Pepper! :headbanger:
1bottlerocket

Post by 1bottlerocket »

That is an interesting read. It would be nice to have it in a more scholarly format with references and peer review. I had never heard that criticism of Page before this.
Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
-Garfunk M. Rafferty
Poorbob

Post by Poorbob »

I could go on about all of that. I used to love, and still do love, figuring out connections between songs. If this guy used some riff from some 30's blues song, that would be right up my alley. Personally, I believe that Page's Whole Lotta Love riff is more a copy of Hey Jude than You Need Love, but that's just my personal opinion.

Btw, Jake Holme' She Belongs to Me is pretty cool.

There are two sides to looking at this. They either stole or were carrying on tradition. On stuff like Stairway to Heaven, with the intro very similar to Taurus by Spirit, I think that's the closest thing to stealing because it was a contemporaries work. Copying parts of blues songs or covering them altogether without giving credit is more tradition for the blues genre. In all cases, I think as long as the feel was different or enhanced, it wasn't stealing. I'm pretty sure they did a damn good job of that. If you can make the version of Dazed and Confused that Led Zeppelin did by taking from what Jake Holmes did, then not only should you not be punished, but you should be rewarded handsomely. That is genius, whether it's source material was stolen or not.

I think music gets too caught up in structure. If people realized how much of it was feeling, they would be much better musicians imo. I'd rather listen to something played with feeling, no matter how simple, then some elaborately structured masterpiece played bland.
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

Poor Bob, I wonder if Page would have the same sentamentality if his stuff got pinched?
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
DucRyder

Post by DucRyder »

1bottlerocket wrote:That is an interesting read. It would be nice to have it in a more scholarly format with references and peer review. I had never heard that criticism of Page before this.
This may fill that need:

http://www.warr.org/zep.html
"...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" H.S.T.
Sauniere

Re:

Post by Sauniere »

Poorbob wrote: In all cases, I think as long as the feel was different or enhanced, it wasn't stealing. I'm pretty sure they did a damn good job of that. If you can make the version of Dazed and Confused that Led Zeppelin did by taking from what Jake Holmes did, then not only should you not be punished, but you should be rewarded handsomely. That is genius, whether it's source material was stolen or not.
The Zeppelin version doesn't add all that much to the feel and atmosphere of the original though. At least in my opinion. Biggest difference to my ears is simply electric vs. acoustic. Page has blatantly denied ever having heard the Holmes version. :zgrin:
JP30

Post by JP30 »

interetsting... i really like the homes version.