D*A*M pedals and the amps they love to hate.

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

thevibe

Re: D*A*M pedals and the amps they love to hate.

Post by thevibe »

Nice Score. I picked a 1966 gibson minuteman amp sometime ago for $225.00 (US). IT has (2-el84s) about 20 watts with reverb and tremelo. It survived a flood, bad transformer, bad capacitors and now it is the favorite at several open mike events.

Loves my pedals can't say the same for the mesa boogie or my marshall artist.. they need to be loud. :!:
Tones invokes feelings… :freakout:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Hi Everyone,

Reading the past few pages has got me both excited and nervous! I'm sure my set-up will work out the way I expect but it's always nice to get a bit a of reassurance! Would anyone know of any glaring problems from my set-up (when the pedal arrives, hopefully this month)

Gordon Smith GS (1x Humbucker) --> Drag'n'Fly --> Orange OTR120 --> 4x12

I'm considering swapping out the GS p'up for a Bareknuckle Mule but that's a further down the road I think.

Thanks for your help.
Gary
happiass

Post by happiass »

Very nice setup, should sound amazing. I love the Drag'N'Fly. :tu:
slomatic

Post by slomatic »

I've run a meathead into Matamp, Sovtek, Carlsbro, Marshall and Sound City amps, and all have sounded better for having a Meathead up front. For the sounds you're talking about, the Sovtek Mig50 is a great amp - it's apparently modelled on the old Bassman/JTM45 template, and has a really nice tonal range. It's not deafeningly loud, prob pumps out about 35 watts. That said it might not really represent the "step up" you're talking about, as I gather the Traynor amps are great! I'd say keep the Traynor, buy a Sovtek and run a SWWEEEETT two amp set up!
Volume over talent
drunkenguitarist

Post by drunkenguitarist »

Hey all, I'm new here. I'm about to receive a Meathead sometime this week. I know that they sound pretty ferocious, but I keep wondering how it'll sound with my small 60 watt tube combo amp?
d4niel

Post by d4niel »

I run my Meathead through a 2W combo and it sounds great. :party:
Does your amp have a master volume? Is it known to take pedals well?

Cheers and welcome!
drunkenguitarist

d4niel wrote:I run my Meathead through a 2W combo and it sounds great. :party:
Does your amp have a master volume? Is it known to take pedals well?

Cheers and welcome!
A 2 watt? :oldlol: Anyhow, I'm a bit hesitant and a little embarrassed to say this.
I have a Peavey Ultra Tube 1x12. It seems to take pedals well enough.
I do plan on upgrading to a Mesa 2x12 combo soon, though.
the_original_mr_nice

Post by the_original_mr_nice »

drunkenguitarist wrote:Anyhow, I'm a bit hesitant and a little embarrassed to say this. I have a Peavey Ultra Tube 1x12. It seems to take pedals well enough.
No need for embarrassment on here - we share the most intimate of secrets :hihi: Although there is a lot of very desirable, rare and probably expensive gear owned by D*A*Msters, I'm sure that we'll all heard/seen great music played with cheap or not rated gear and some awful music played with great gear !
drunkenguitarist

Sickle wrote:Don't worry about the 2 watt thing, a Meathead makes any amp sound good! I've got a crappy Matador bass amp sitting around I slam my fuzzes through, it sounds like the last passing wind of a dying giant sickened with dysentery. Awesome stuff!
I think my mind has been blown by the description that you gave. Now I can't wait to get my pedal. :mrgreen:
NewarkWilder

Post by NewarkWilder »

Now that I've had my Fender for a while (I had a costly, lengthy, and completely 100% worth it restoration done) I'm happy to report that my pedals have never sounded so good. Here I was being a damned fool thinking germanium fuzzes just weren't for me... Well, no, they just weren't for my old Traynor. My '66 through the Super sounds GARGANTUAN... and I've got a MKII and Ram Head coming too, so if a rip in space in time occurs and we're all sucked into a black hole in the next few days, sorry, my bad, that was probably me :hihi: