D*A*M vs. Cornish P-2

Ask a question...get some answers

Moderator: The Captain

flupe007

D*A*M vs. Cornish P-2

Post by flupe007 »

I was wondering... have any of you played a Pete Cornish P-2 fuzz? I had one briefly and thought it was pretty cool, but a bit on the noisy side. Maybe I should have kept it.

I play a Strat through a Carr Rambler.

Does D*A*M make a fuzz comparable to the Cornish P-2? If so, which model?

A P-2 is basically a mod'd Big Muff... a pedal built by Cornish for David Gilmour based on either a Ram's Head or a Triangle muff. I'm not sure which one.
imlikeajungle

Re: D*A*M vs. Cornish P-2

Post by imlikeajungle »

If it's a Muff: Ram's Head but you're gonna have to look around second hand, Cap'n doesn't build them anymore.
flupe007

Post by flupe007 »

The Cornish P-2 isn't just a straight Muff clone. It's less "muffy" sounding... more clear and open, but fuzzy as hell. So, I'm kind of wondering if there are people here who have had experience or are currently playing any of the Cornish stuff and I'm wondering what they think of it.

His NG-2 Fuzz pedal is clearly the most insane sounding Fuzz in his lineup. It sounds a LOT like Robert Fripp from King Crimson of the mid 1970's... especially if one starts playing whole tone scales.

Anyway... thoughts/comments are welcome.
happiass

Post by happiass »

I've got a Cornish P-2 as well as a DAM Ram Head. They're fairly different, the Ram Head sounds like a great old vintage muff. I've owned several old Big Muffs over the years (one Triangle & two Ram's Heads) and they all sounded slightly different, but honestly the Ram Head is the equal of any of them. You described the Cornish pretty well yourself, it has a ton of gain on tap but it still seems somewhat refined (if that makes any kind of sense). The Ram Head, to me, seems much rawer. Hope that helps.
Jazzandmetal?

Post by Jazzandmetal? »

Sickle wrote:I remember looking at Cornish pedals in my pre-D*A*M days thinking it was insane to pay that much for a pedal..

:whistle:
:lol:
flupe007

Post by flupe007 »

I went through a phase where I had to try (and get) all the Cornish pedals I could find.

I bought an SS-3 (soft-sustain fuzz), a G-2 fuzz, a P-2 fuzz, an NG-2 fuzz, an ST-2 (tone boost), an LD-2 (line driver, preamp) and one of his Treble Boosts.

Since then, I've kept them all except for the P-2, but am thinking of trying to get one again as who knows how much longer Pete will be around making pedals.

I have one pedalboard that is mostly the Cornish stuff. It's pretty cool as I've set it up for a stereo rig. I should put a photo up here.

Ever since I've been playing in stereo, I hate playing through one amp now. Playing through 2 amps just makes one sound so much BIGGER... more 3-dimensional.

And the Cornish stuff seems to make other pedals sound better too. I think it has to do with his buffering system. He doesn't use true-bypass.
flupe007

Post by flupe007 »

my cornish board...
Attachments
cornish_board_30-nov-2008.jpg
cornish_board_30-nov-2008.jpg (170.15 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
Last edited by flupe007 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flupe007

Post by flupe007 »

The guitar plugs into the LD-2 and progresses along the following path:

BOSS CS-2 --> MXR Phase 90 --> Cornish ST-2 (Tone Boost, Eq) --> Deluxe Fulltone WAH --> Ernie Ball Volume Pedal --> Cornish NG-2 Fuzz --> Keeley Mod'd RAT --> Fulltone OCD --> AnalogMan Mod'd BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver --> Cornish G-2 Fuzz --> Cornish SS-3 (Overdrive) --> BOSS CE-3 Chorus --> BOSS DD-6 delay --> 2 Fulltone Fat Boosts (Stereo).

The signal path is split into a stereo signal at the Chorus pedal. Notice the stereo connections into and out of the delay pedal. Then there are 2 lines going into 2 separate Fat Boosts.

There are 2 Voodoo Lab power supplies mounted underneath the board.

This thing took me about 6 months to "build". I'm not that excited about the delay pedal. But, it does the job for me now. It does sound amazing though. The old Japanese chorus pedal sounds great... better when the Cornish pedals are hooked up. It doesn't suck any of the tone as they normally would if the Cornish pedals weren't hooked up.

I've got a couple of other boards, but I'm still in the process of working things out with them.

Anyway.... thought you guys (and gals) might appreciate this.
Last edited by flupe007 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
flupe007

Post by flupe007 »

is that a CS-2 I spy?

Good Man, great taste!
Yeah it is. Good eye. I'm not sure what to think about it honestly. I find myself leaving the compression off most of the time. I need to experiment with it more I suppose. Maybe compressors are needed for playing at super high volumes, but most of the time I'm not playing at gig volume.

The Cornish stuff, however, does sound better the louder you turn it up. Most effects do from my experience.

Do you play through a compressor?
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

And what do tell would the other ones be? Sigh... gotta go find a CS2 now. You have mentioned them enough here and at Vaes (still down?)
I liked my old Boss chorus and Metal Zone pedals, but not enough to keep them. Kinda want to get another Metal Zone, they are kind of insane sounding...
G.
What do you want from life
An Indian guru
to show you the inner light?